Meditative Absorption and Finance

Verse 92 affirms, “Even though suffering in me does not cause distress in the bodies of others, I should nevertheless find their suffering intolerable because of the affection I have for myself.” Since coming home due to coronavirus, I have dramatically increased my stake in the stock market, and since the lows, I have experienced healthy growth. However, the appreciation in value of my portfolio surely comes at the cost of the decrease in value of other’s portfolios. Though I am happy at the success I have had, people who have invested at much higher prices are suffering. Their portfolios have lost so much value, and here I am, happy that mine is increasing. My actions and the verses seem at odds. I am happy, though that happiness, once analyzed, is at the cost of others.

If understood carefully, though, every action, to some extent, is at the cost of another human being. Every promotion, every job offer, every increase in portfolio value, all come at the expense of another. Finance in general is a subject that has plenty winners and losers. While one benefits, another suffers. This pandemic has separated the winners from the losers. Certain people have lost their jobs while others have been fortunate to keep their jobs. Unemployment is expected to rise to 13% by June, and it is important to understand the consequences that micro-benefits have on the macro-economy as a whole. While personal growth is to be expected and appreciated, it must not come at the helm of deliberate attacks on those less fortunate; suffering is inevitable in this economy, but we should strive not to directly cause it in others.

2 thoughts on “Meditative Absorption and Finance”

1. I have thought about what it means to succeed, and every time, I come to the conclusion that success should not be looked down upon, even if it is at the cost of another, so long as that human cost is not directly willed. Existentialist philosophy has taught me that we are all free to make our own choices and carry the weight of the consequences; while I have enjoyed profit, I have ceased to wish for markets to fall so I may purchase stocks at a lower price and enjoy higher gains. In the beginning, I wished for lower lows so I could have higher benefits, but the human cost never crossed my mind. I have no longer held that mentality, and I wish all a speedy financial recovery.