Meditation for Sanity

I’ve been personally meditating everyday for almost a year at this point (i began during summer ’19). I’ve found the practice transformative, and during this period, while it has had a very different mechanism, its been even more critical. During my normal busy life, I use meditation as a moment of peace and break from my rush, to quiet my mind and relax. Now that I have too much time to relax, its works in sort of the opposite way. I recall one night early in quarantine where I was antsy (a common feeling its seems for everyone these days) and I wanted to leave the apartment, but being night and everything being closed, I didn’t have much of a place to go. Idle mechanisms for killing time around my apartment weren’t alleviating my overwhelming energy either. Eventually I made the decision to sit back in a chair outside and meditate by doing nothing. I think many of us are antsy because at Emory, at far before, we developed a routine of always being active and striving to squeeze the most out of a moment. Being the over-achieving group we are, it makes sense. I think meditating taught me that if I sat down and did nothing, nothing bad would come to me. I wouldn’t fail or be left behind. It was very empowering. Verse 26 in chapter 8 reminded of this feeling as it evoked that the natural world was free from our man-made problems, and I realized in the moment I was creating my own problem. Verses 87 and 88 remind us that solitude is important, and if we were monks, we’d be committing our selves to a lifestyle not too dissimilar to quarantine. It seems then that this period is good for practicing Buddhist principles.

One thought on “Meditation for Sanity”

1. I found your thoughts to be beautifully worded, and I empathize with them. I, too, meditate frequently and value the ability to do nothing. Though, I often find that I get swept the fast-paced, need-to-do-more nature of our society. Being in quarantine has given me the opportunity to re-evaluate the constant to-do nature of my life, yet I continue to make to-do lists. Perhaps, it’s time to learn how to-do nothing.