Christian Wallen successfully defended his thesis, “The Coordination Chemistry of Hydrogen Peroxide” on Monday, December 5th, 2016. Christian’s thesis committed was led by Chris Scarborough with Lanny Liebeskind and Simon Blakey as additional members.
During his time at Emory, Christian received the Osborne R. Quayle Advanced/Senior Student Award (2016) and Outstanding TA Award for Organic Chemistry Laboratories (2014). Next up, he plans to work as a postdoctoral scholar with John Berry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
On Friday, August 26th, the Department of Chemistry celebrated our new and returning graduate students with the Welcome Back Fourth Friday and Graduate Awards Ceremony. Students, staff, and faculty enjoyed Fox Bros. BBQ and cupcakes from Atlanta Cupcake Factory while cheering on award winners. In a new tradition this year, our 2016 graduate class was officially introduced to the community by their graduate student mentors at the end of the awards ceremony.
Here are the awardees:
Recognition of Service Instructors
- Mass Spec: Samantha Summer (Liotta)
- X-ray Crystallography: Daniel Collins-Wildman (Hill); Tom Pickel (Scarborough)
- NMR: Bruce Liao (Davies); Benjamin Fontaine (Weinert); Noel Li (Lynn); Amaan Kazerouni (Blakey)
- Bioanalytical Instruments: Jenny Coffman (Lutz)
- Quayle Outstanding Student Award: Yang Liu (Salaita); Luyao Zou (Widicus Weaver)
- Quayle Advanced/Senior Student Award: Liangbing Fu (Davies); Christian Wallen (Scarborough)
- Quayle Student Achievement Award:Benjamin Fontaine (Weinert); Kornelia Galior (Salaita);Robert Kubiak (Davies); Bruce Liao (Davies); Victor Ma (Salaita)
Outstanding TA Awards
- General Chemistry: Brooke Andrews
- Analytical: Paula Tyler
- Physical Chemistry: Sean Bresler
- Organic: Ally Boyington
Recognition of ARCS Nominees
- Austin Baker (Jui)
- Jacob Burman (Blakey)
- Daniel Collins-Wildman (Hill)
- Paula Tyler (Dyer) Selected as 2016 ARCS Scholar
Congratulations to all!