A Cautionary Tale and Some Heartfelt Advice from a Bar-Taker

This post just appeared in a Reddit forum for bar-studiers; it includes heartfelt, sound advice from a bar-taker who just found out that s/he failed the bar for a second time. As the poster writes, this is AVOIDABLE! There are specific steps you can take as a bar studier to maximize your chances of success.  But the struggle is real, especially as we’re not yet through this pandemic and its impact on our physical and mental health. Here it is:

I failed for the second time. The first time I took it, I completed all the [commercial program’s] lectures and some MBEs. I didn’t do any MPTs or MEEs. The sheer anxiety of taking an in-person bar during the midst of a pandemic as an immuno-compromised person paralyzed me. I couldn’t study no matter how hard I tried. I didn’t finish two MEEs and guessed on around half of the MBEs. So, I wasn’t surprised when I failed with a dismal 234.

The second time around I decided to redo the [commercial] program since I didn’t really finish it the first time. I got past some of the lectures but I remembered most of the lectures so it felt repetitive. I fell off course again. Four weeks before the exam I snapped back to reality and bought [a supplemental commercial course]. I watched all the lectures and rewrote lecture notes by hand until I had them memorized. I barely did any MBEs and didn’t do any MEEs or MPTs. So, unsurprisingly, I failed again with a 244.

I’m not sure why I repeated the same pattern of not doing any practice for the second exam. I’m not sure if it’s the lack of discipline or motivation that’s serving as a roadblock. It could have been my depression and anxiety, my bruised ego or a combination of all three. I have no one to blame but myself. So many of my loved ones feel sorry for me because I failed again after trying so hard. But, I didn’t. I really didn’t. I have too much shame to tell them the truth so I decided to tell strangers on the internet instead.

I’m in a better place mentally this time around. I’d be an absolute idiot to not do practice this time. I already have a game plan, unlike last time… The key is to just do the damn practice exams.

Yes. Active learning is more effective than passive learning, always. As you continue your bar readiness journey, do as much of the recommended work as you can, making bar study your fulltime job as much as possible after graduation. If you’re short on time, always choose active learning options like practice questions, followed by careful self-assessment, over passive options like watching online lectures. When you watch lectures, take active notes, ideally by hand as that is know to improve retention for most learners.

It’s mid-April. You have plenty of time to create your own plan for success on the July bar. You can do this!