Category : Alumni
The Healthcare Data Analyst II, Advanced will join the Clinical Analytics team which is part of the Partners Data and Analytics Organization (DAO). In this role, the Data Analyst will work collaboratively with a team of investigators at BWH supporting the Measuring Outcomes in Orthopedics (MOOR) research study.
The focus of this project is to identify, develop and refine meaningful measures for the Medicare Quality Payment Program that will meaningfully impact patient care by minimizing burden on clinicians, improving outcomes for patients, and driving high-quality care. The Data Analyst will be responsible for database development and electronic health record data collection from the Partners Enterprise Data Warehouse and will work closely with the Programmer in measure specification and testing activities. The Data Analyst will assist in conducting statistical programming under the direction of the Senior Biostatistician. S/he will support project activities to identify, define, and document the data elements and algorithms developed to construct both Patient Reported Outcome Performance Measures (PRO-PMs) and Electronic Clinical Quality Measures (eCQMs).
The Data Analyst will accompany the research staff when meeting with institutional patient safety and clinical quality representatives for the development of measures, will participate in fact gathering, and will develop a database compiling this information for assessment across collaborating institutions. The most difficult aspects of this position involve applying the appropriate statistical methods to research questions. The Data Analyst will be responsible for translating research questions into analytic plans and analyzing data, including orthopedic quality measure development data; conducting valid statistical tests and statistical models and communicating findings in presentations and manuscripts. Conceptualization of these analyses may be challenging and involve hierarchical models or repeated measures design. The Data Analyst is responsible for checking the accuracy and reliability of the data analyses.
The Data Analyst oversees the integrity of analytic databases while working closely with the project investigators. The Data Analyst ensures that the project is proceeding according to plan and develops recording systems assuring that the flow of data is tracked in an accurate and timely fashion. The Data Analyst will work across all phases of the research project, including extraction and organization of clinical and other data from a variety of information systems, automated data cleaning and verification, design, administration and construction of databases, analysis using statistical approaches and development of new informatics and clinical measurement tools. Additionally, the Data Analyst will be a strong communicator, both verbally and written, in order to convey key data and data analytics.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated, deadline-driven, team player interested in contributing to this innovative research study. The Healthcare Data Analyst II, Advanced will report directly to the Senior Manager of Clinical Analytics with a dotted line to the Co-Investigator of the study at BWH.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Retrieving, organizing, and manipulating data from the Enterprise Data Warehouse and other databases. This will require SQL programming to design and construct databases to store and organize data.
- Chooses appropriate statistical methods for analyzing datasets and conducts analyses using a range of statistical methods. Performs analysis using SQL, Excel and other tools such as SAS as appropriate and develops reports
- Presenting analytical findings in a variety of formats (reports, PowerPoint, graphs, figures, and tables), formulating recommendations, and effectively presenting results to non-analytic audiences.
- Works closely with the research to ensure accurate collecting and recording of data. Completes thorough quality assurance procedures ensuring accuracy, reliability, and validity of work. Develops system documentation
- Participates in meetings to review and discuss analytic methodologies and results.
- Participates in other aspects of research, including study design, qualitative data analysis, academic manuscript writing and grant writing as relevant to the data analyst’s skills and interests.
Please note that this is a temporary position funded by a 3-year research grant through September, 2021.
- BS/BA, preferably in computer science, mathematics, statistics or related field
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare field and/or data analysis or programming.
- Masters Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or Biostatistics preferred.