New EPI Social Media Team: Haley Adrian & Jazib Gohar

The Confounder is excited to announce our new Social Media Team: 2nd year students Haley Adrian (Instagram: @rollinsepilife) and Jazib Gohar (Twitter: @EmoryEPI)!

This week, we sat down with the new team to learn about their interest in epidemiology, social media, and much more! 

What makes you interested in social media and how does epidemiology fit into that interest?

• Haley: I am thrilled to be representing the Department of Epidemiology on Instagram. I have always had an interest in using social media as a platform for general communication, information sharing, and media creation. On top of running a few personal Instagram accounts, I also played a role in content creation for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Learn the Signs. Act Early. Program, which I was a Health Communication and Program Evaluation Assistant.
  • Jazib: I am so excited to be representing the Epidemiology Department on Twitter. I’ve always loved using Twitter for so many different reasons, spanning from news or current events, to sports scores and updates, to academic dialogue and conversation. I think Twitter has so much untapped potential with peers of our age group, particularly in scholarly engagement. I’m excited to explore academic Twitter and engage my peers with our the @EmoryEPI account!

Tell us about your research interests and career goals.

• Haley: Primarily, my career interest lies in healthcare consulting. I had the privilege of working as a Healthcare Finance Intern with Dixon Hughes Goodman (DHG) this summer, and plan to pursue a career with the firm during the school year and after graduation. Throughout this summer, I was responsible for senior living clients’ market research, penetration rate databases for independent living and assisted living communities, and our actuarial study database. Tangibles produced during my internship included client market area analyses used for our feasibility studies, a regional graphic of the United States showing penetration rate distribution among of clients’ communities, a cleaned and revamped actuarial study database used for internal purposes, and a capstone presentation summarizing both my experience for the firm and Risk Capability (a firm industry point-of-view). My experience with DHG confirmed my interest in the industry, as well as my career plan.
  • Jazib: My career interests revolve around Cancer Epidemiology, specifically in the field of Social Epigenomics. I am interested in understanding the role that social factors, such as race, socioeconomic status, and diet, play in cancer outcomes by studying their association with DNA methylation in malignant tumor tissue. I hope to pursue my PhD in Epidemiology after my time at Rollins.

What do you like to do outside of epidemiology?

• Haley: My personal interests include working out, spending time with my friends and family, and playing with my dog. I love to be outside, travel, and try new foods. 
  • Jazib: Outside of academic interests, I love sports and music. I’m an avid Chicago and Northwestern sports fan, and I often try to attend concerts whenever I have the time! I also enjoy craft beer, and always try to sample flights at local breweries.

Follow Jazib on Twitter @EmoryEPI and Haley on Instagram @rollinsepilife

Log out of this account