Rollins Professor: Michael Kramer

Rollins Professor: Michael Kramer

For this week’s #IamEmoryEPI, we caught up with Dr. Michael Kramer!

Tell us where you went to school:

I received my BA in human development and social relations at Earlham College; Master of Science as a physician assistant (at Emory) and then another MS specializing in clinical emergency medicine (at Alderson-Broaddus). I received my PhD in EPI at Emory.

What are your primary research interests?

I am primarily interested in social epidemiology of non-communicable disease, particularly in maternal and child health populations. This work involves focus on social theory, epi (and other) methods, and often the use of spatial thinking and spatial analysis.

What did you do this past summer?

In terms of teaching and mentoring work, I worked with several MPH and PhD students on a variety of projects, and did some prep work revising and tweaking aspects of the Spatial Epidemiology course I am teaching this fall. In terms of research I finished and submitted a manuscript related to work on health equity and maternal mortality with the CDC Division of Reproductive Health (the paper was just accepted to AJOG). In terms of fun I spend 10 days backcountry canoeing with my wife in Ontario.

How did you find the research that you are currently conducting?

I have many ongoing projects. Some evolved from prior work I was doing (one answer inevitably leads to 20 new questions!), but a number of projects are collaborations with other at Emory, scientists at CDC, and collaborators at other academic and non-academic public health institutions; they arise from networking and connections and reaching out to other people doing cool work!

What is your favorite part about being at Emory?

Great students, great colleagues (faculty and staff), and great public health community in Atlanta and in the Southeast. Too many interesting projects to keep up with.

Do you have any advice for MPH students?

Cultivate two things: the skills and knowledge that you are already passionate about (e.g. possibly an area of epi or public health or a place you hope to work one day); explore a little outside of your current passion. You don’t always know what you don’t know and sometimes those things become your future.

What are some fun facts about yourself?

1. I bike to work year round; I often pass (or get passed by) people I know from RSPH when riding but because I a) don’t wear my glasses when I ride; and b) am pretty focused on riding…I may not seem to recognize or acknowledge you. My apologies in advance for seeming rude when really I’m blind or oblivious! 
  2. I raise dairy goats. They have provided milk for my family for 14 years but now they are old-lady goats living out their retirement.

Log out of this account