2nd Year Epi MPH Student: Kirsten Woolpert

For this week’s #IamEmoryEpi spotlight, we met up with Kirsten Woolpert!

Tell us where you went to school:

I went to UNC Wilmington, where I studied Biology and Spanish.

What are your primary research interests?

My main interests are in breast cancer research and epidemiologic methodology.

What did you do this past summer?

I worked remotely this summer for the American Cancer Society (ACS), where I performed an evaluation of the SOURCE (Strengthening Organizations for a United Response to the Cancer Epidemic) program. I was responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of this ACS initiative, where in-country cancer organizations were taught how to deliver effectively on their mission and work to reduce the cancer burden throughout Kenya. I also spent the summer coaching our local swim team and teaching swim lessons.

How did you find the research that you are currently conducting?

I found this opportunity through Handshake in early-March.

What is your favorite part about being at Emory?

I really love the Rollins community and knowing that we have such an inclusive and supportive environment. I’ve met so many amazing people in my year here, and I’m so excited to continue getting to know more of our incredible faculty and student body!

Do you have any advice for MPH students?

It’s easy to get caught up in graduate school life, but really make sure to take time out of each week to step away from your work and school responsibilities. I am currently enrolled in two art classes, and each week I’m so happy to step back and work on a hobby I love!

What are three fun facts about yourself?

1. My roommate and I foster cats and dogs- if you’re looking to adopt there’s a good chance I’ve got plenty to choose from at my house!

2. I spent an entire semester with my roommate painting a giant mural at my house, only to move out the day after it was done. I didn’t learn my lesson though, because I’m doing the exact same thing now…

3. I was once stung by a stingray, and I do not recommend it.

Log out of this account