ADAPs: Noni Bourne and Farah Dharamshi

ADAPs: Noni Bourne and Farah Dharamshi

For this week’s #IamEmoryEpi spotlight, we had the special opportunity to get to know both of our new ADAPs (Assistant Director of Academic Programs) in the department: Noni Bourne and Farah Dharamshi!

Tell us a little bit about your academic history:

Noni: I went to Spelman College for undergrad and completed a Masters in English and American Literature at Georgetown University.

Farah: I have a bachelors in science (BS) in environmental studies from the University of Winnipeg (I’m Canadian!), I hold a masters in science and education (MSEd) in public health from the University of Toledo, and a juris master- JM (master in law) in global health law from Emory University.

Where were you before arriving at Rollins?

Noni: My last position was at Trinity Washington University in D.C., where I worked in academic advising and student success.  Before that, I traveled to the South Pacific with the Peace Corps and spent several years advising NYU students.

Farah: I was a director in the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Services for five years at the Emory University School of Law. I have worked in consulting, and graduate medical education as director of medical education, working primarily with family practice residents. I have conducted research in childhood obesity, and interpersonal violence, and has presented numerous seminars on these topics along with early cognitive development, and women’s preventative health. I am also an active community volunteer, and serves as a principal and teacher on the weekends at an early childhood development center.

Why did you want to become an ADAP for the Epidemiology Department?

Noni: I was interested in the ADAP role because it allows me to support students from orientation all the way through to graduation, which is the best part of my job. I’m also really looking forward to learning about and being involved in the inner workings of the department, including admissions and student programming.

Farah: I love working with students, and helping individuals reach their highest potential! It is very rewarding for me to see the change, growth, and development that happens when students find and pursue their passion. I am also excited about the tremendous amount of collaboration both within RSPH, and across Emory to provide an exemplary student experience.

What are you most excited about at Emory?

Noni: I’m excited to join a vibrant, diverse, and well-respected community of scholars, students, and staff.  I’m also excited to learn more about public health and Epidemiology specifically, which are new to me; but (as you already know) have influenced much of my life.

Farah: I had an amazing experience being a student here, and decided to stay! The great minds, and diversity on campus makes each day an adventure.

What goals do you have when it comes to working with your new MPH students?

Noni: I’m looking forward to helping them make the most of their experience and training here at Emory.  That means different things for every student; so I’m excited to get to know my advisees better!

Farah: I’m excited to start meeting all of my students. I’m looking forward to learning about each one individually, and supporting them throughout their time here at Rollins!

What books are you currently reading, or what podcasts are you currently listening to?

Noni:  I’m a big fiction reader.  I recently finished An American Marriage, which is by Tayari Jones (my Spelman sister and current Emory professor).  Before that I was riveted by N.K. Jemisin’s sci-fi/fantasy trilogy The Broken Earth.  I haven’t decided what’s next, and am open to recommendations!

Farah: I am always listening to something, and very rarely watch anything. My favorite podcasts are: RadioLab, OnBeing, the TED Radio Hour, Science VS, HIDDEN BRAIN, Planet Money, Revisionist History, Science Rules, and Science Friday. I am currently reading: When Breath Becomes Air, The Checklist Manifesto, and The Obesity Code.

What are three fun facts that you want people to know about you?

Noni:

1. Fall is my favorite season, so I am currently living my best sweater and PSL life.
  2. My guilty pleasure is Netflix binge-watching.
  3. I like to cook and my most used spice is cumin. 

Farah:

1. I love to run – I’ve run in a lot of amazing cities around the world – it’s the best way to know a place.
  2. I love to cook everything, although I am currently expanding my vegetarian repertoire for my daughter’s recent conversion.
  3. I spent my first five years in Africa – Kampala, Uganda.

Log out of this account