PhD Candidate: Davit Baliashvili

PhD Candidate: Davit Baliashvili

For this week’s #IamEmoryEpi spotlight, we met up with Davit Baliashvili!

Tell us a little bit about your academic history:

I went to Medical school in Tbilisi State Medical University, in the country of Georgia. Then did my MPH in the same university before coming to Emory for my MSCR (Master of Science in Clinical Research) degree in 2013-2014

What are your primary research interests?

My research interest is infectious diseases in general, although my research is mostly focused on tuberculosis and viral hepatitis C. I have co-advisors in the PhD program: Dr. Neel Gandhi and Dr. Henry Blumberg

What were you up this this past summer?

The first few weeks of summer I was “healing wounds” (i.e. lying on the couch doing nothing but watching TV and playing video games) from the PhD qualifying exam that we took in early June. Then I went to country of Georgia, where I started to work on my dissertation ideas and developed a concept letter.

Are there any exciting projects or experiences you are involved in right now?

Recently I attended The Union’s World Conference on Lung Health where I presented my project that I am working on as part of my Research Assistantship. I am also working on a manuscript about hepatitis C seroprevalence and genotype distribution in the country of Georgia. However, most of my time is focused on dissertation, in which I am studying co-infection of tuberculosis and hepatitis C in the country of Georgia.

What is your favorite part about earning your PhD at Rollins?

Agh, so many things! I feel like I learned more things in past two years that I have during all my previous years of education. But if I have to name just one favorite part of getting PhD at Emory, it’s getting to know my fellow PhD students. Amazing people!

What advice do you have for MPH students?

Try to separate your work hours and rest/relax hours as much as you can. The more focused you are during work hours, the more productive these hours are and more time is left for relaxation and fun activities. If possible, try completing all the schoolwork at school or in library, and enjoy the well-deserved rest at home.

What books are you currently reading, or what podcasts are you currently listening to?

I am currently reading/listening three books in parallel – The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman on my Kindle, Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow as a print book and Aesop’s Fables as an audiobook.

What are three fun facts that you want people to know about you?

1. I had a pet turtle when I was a kid
  2. I learned how to ride a bike when I was 29 (still don’t know how to drive a car)
  3. I translate science fiction and fantasy books from English into Georgian (my native language) together with my friend, and we have translated and published 10 books so far.

Log out of this account