Senior Data Manager/Analyst, University of Washington
Category : Alumni
The Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children (Global WACh) is seeking to hire a full-time (100% FTE) Senior Data Manager/Analyst to provide data management and data analysis leadership across multiple studies within the Gut Health and Child Survival (GHCS) team.
The GHCS team focuses on targeting interventions and approaches to improve survival, growth, and development among vulnerable children globally, with specific attention to children with enteric and neglected tropical diseases. This position will focus on the following primary activities: 1) Oversee the design and implementation of GHCS data management systems, with particular attention to improving system efficiency while also increasing equitable collaborations between UW and its global partners; 2) oversee and implement data cleaning, quality control, and assembly of datasets for implementation and analysis; 3) write data management code and resolve queries; and 4) design and expand report templates, formats and dashboards; 5) conduct high-quality data analysis; and 6) support junior data-managers at UW and abroad in developing skills relating to the primary activities listed here.
Duties and Responsibilities
Data management, data quality monitoring and assurance (45%)
- Lead the development, implementation and documentation of data quality assurance procedures, including drafting code for data queries.
- Develop systems for data storage, version control, and archiving practices and serve as the central person responsible for providing analysis datasets to staff, students, PIs
- Design and implement data quality control measures, including overseeing monthly reporting for site deliverables.
- Work directly with study sites to implement data quality control measures, including frequent phone calls outside of normal work hours and travel to international sites (when permitted).
- Advise PIs and study coordinators on case report form design, database choice and set up so as to ensure data collection tools are optimized for eventual analysis and storage
- Monitor incoming study data; develop, run and maintain quality assurance code and generate queries in a timely and consistent manner to meet project timelines
- Review query responses and error resolution forms submitted by site Data Managers; write and run cleaning code when queries are resolved; maintain audit trail for data cleaning
- Work directly with data teams at each study site to improve data quality, including developing and implementing data quality trainings.
- Maintain a proactive and forward-thinking approach to data management and data quality that includes a global and local equity-focused lens that will help the GHCS team fulfil its commitment to equitable access and use of the data generate form our research.
Supervision and Mentorship (25%)
- Support the data management and data analysis work of junior data managers and graduate students at UW and abroad.
- Supervise 1-4 data staff.
- Serve as a resource to GHCS projects, staff, and students on data quality and analysis.
- Develop data management training materials and lead trainings on data management topics in Seattle and internationally.
- Participate in weekly staff and monthly data team meetings.
Epidemiological Research and Data Analysis (25%)
- Independently selects and applies standard epidemiological tools for analyses based on available data.
- Improve processes and design of research and data analysis.
- Analyze complex datasets in R, leveraging familiarity with a variety of methodological approaches and the support of PIs and statisticians, including:
- Regression techniques (linear, logistic, Cox proportional hazards, generalized linear
- Survival analysis
- Correlated data techniques (GEE, linear mixed effects)
- Contribute data analysis and figures to manuscripts, reports, presentations and grant proposals.
- Serve as an author on student/trainee led manuscripts and conference abstracts by reviewing and advising on methods and results sections, and where helpful verifying code/results.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Public Health or other field plus four years of relevant (data-specific) work experience.
- Extensive experience in the management and manipulation of complex datasets and experience in planning and conducting statistical analyses
- Strong statistical skills in STATA or R (R preferred)
- Experience building, implementing and managing electronic data collection tools and databases including but not limited to REDCap and ODK-based applications.
- Ability to plan and execute applied research and evaluation
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment with international collaborators
- Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience handling high volume of diverse tasks in a timely manner with consistent accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Ability and desire to manage data team members
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate communication between professionals in a manner that respects cultural differences and contributes to effective partnerships
**Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration**
- PhD in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Public Health or other field plus two years of relevant work experience;
- Fluency in R, including familiarity with R Markdown, tidyverse (including ggplot & dyplr packages) applying user-defined functions to object lists, pushing/pulling to Github from R, design of Shiny apps.
- Familiarity with STATA.
- Strong quantitative skills in traditional analysis approaches (descriptive analysis, linear modelling regression, survival analysis)
- Familiarity with less common analytic techniques (causal modeling, correlated data, machine learning techniques)
- Experience with clinical trials and/or longitudinal biomedical data
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills with proven ability in effective cross-cultural communication
- Experience or interest in global health, nutrition, enteric diseases and/or child survival
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25% of the time (when COVID restrictions are lifted)
How to Apply
Click here to read more about this position and apply online!