Hamiltonian Medicine Discussion

This article talks about Hamiltonian Medicine, which centers on the roles of genetic relatedness in human health and disease and represents the application of basic social-evolution theory, from interactions involving kinship, to core issues in medicine such as pathogens, cancer, optimal growth and mental illness. The 3 domains it incorporates are microbes or cancer cells within humans, genes expressed in humans, and human individuals. I feel that Hamiltonian Medicine is a great way to see and understand how evolution and medicine can work hand-in-hand. I enjoyed how they included that human social interactions, especially among relatives while individuals are young, appear to represent among the most potent and pervasive determinants of mental health throughout the lifespan, both directly and through gene-by-environment interactions. Sometimes I think people assume social interaction and mental health fall strictly under psychology, and I know some people who don’t think there’s any connection between psychology and biology, when this this is not true. Mental health can also be affected by genes and brain function, while social interaction with others has evolved into our society. Humans have not evolved to be solitary creatures. We require interactions with other people to remain healthy. Therefore, the relationships with people who are close to us, especially while young, can have a big impact on our health.

One thought on “Hamiltonian Medicine Discussion

1. Hi! Great post. I love the point that you bring about Hamiltonian medicine and its relation to mental illness, as now that you mention it, I can see how important that is. As a sociology major myself, I am so glad someone else shares the opinion that psychology/sociology are important factors in health. However, personally, I felt overwhelmed with Hamiltonian medicine because focusing on the inter-relatedness amongst organisms seems like such a complex feat to accomplish, to be able to track such complex networks of data with globalization, commercialization of sex, faster transportation – it just seems like so much! In theory, I truly do appreciate the concept, and honestly this may just take more research on my part, to search for articles that use Hamiltonian medicine as a basis for quantitative research to see how such methods would be employed, but my initial opinion is that it needs much more than what we read, or at least what we discussed in class for me, personally, to give it more credence. I more than anyone would love to see it happen.