Why should YOU study languages?

Considering that I have studied Japanese now for almost seven years, it is almost
impossible for me to imagine a college education without foreign language as a part of
my curriculum. However, when coming to college without having previously studied a
new language, it may be hard to imagine why learning a brand new language is relevant
to your overall education. One may ask themselves, “I’m a biology major, why do I need
to study a language when I could be getting some of my major requirements out of the
way?” When asking yourself a question like this one, it is important to refer back to
what a liberal arts education like Emory’s is meant to be.
Emory describes liberal arts as a foundation—a platform for students to gain
understanding in fields ranging from math, science, and much more, including foreign
language. When I think of a liberal arts education, I think of the invaluable skills I will
have when I step foot outside of the college realm. No matter what type of job one finds
themselves doing after graduation, having knowledge of a language and its culture will

My friends and I in Okinawa, Japan when we all decided to match with stripes!

surely be beneficial to their line of work. Just as having some general knowledge of math, science and English will help one make educated decisions and observations in the world, so will any language skills. If you’re planning to be a doctor in the future, mastery of a language could put you at an advantage in helping non-English speaking populations near your practice. If you’re planning to become a teacher, learning a new language

could benefit you in assisting students who are learning English as a second language. In
addition to this, foreign language education allows one to subsequently learn about new cultures as well. With the understanding of a new culture, you’ll be able to better function in situations where your colleagues or associates are of different backgrounds. No matter what you plan to do, learning new languages and cultures opens so many doors of opportunity that once you start, you’ll wonder why you didn’t begin earlier.
As I mentioned earlier, it would be difficult for me to imagine an education
without a foreign language. In my experience, my skill set in Japanese and my
knowledge about the culture has exposed me to possibilities that I would have never
encountered were it not for my experience in foreign language. For example, as a
sophomore in high school, after having passionately studied for so long, I was able to take my skills abroad to Okinawa, Japan where I was able to live with a host family and
test out what I’d learned over the years. No matter how long you’ve been studying a
language, it is so rewarding to be able to travel to a new place, near or far and be able to
use use your skills. The pure joy that is felt by being able to express yourself is, I feel, the
most beautiful part about studying a foreign language. So, in thinking about why the study of foreign language and cultures is essential to a liberal arts education, I look back
on my own journey with Japanese and think about how it has shaped me into who I am
even though I have many other diverse interests. With this in mind, no matter what you
study, learning something as life-changing as a language will make you a better
learner, employee, and person overall.

My host family and I; from left to right: my oldest brother and his wife, my father, myself, and my mother.