Fourth year Ph.D. Candidate
(Please email me for my full and updated CV)
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- History of Philosophy
- Phenomenology (esp. Heidegger)
- Metaphysics (esp. Time)
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
- Ancient Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, Emory University, May 2019 (Anticipated)
Dissertation: Heidegger’s Later Concept of Time
Dissertation Committee: Andrew J. Mitchell (Director), Daniel O. Dahlstrom (Boston University), John T. Lysaker, Dilek Huseyinzadegan, Marta Jimenez.
- M.A., Philosophy, The New School for Social Research, 2014
- B.A., Philosophy, Religious Studies, Minor: Classics, Boston University, 2000
- “Aristotle, Aquinas, and the Democracy of Happiness”, Journal for Catholic Social Thought. (Under Review).
- “Heidegger’s Later Thinking of χρόνος: From Aristotle to Anaximander”, Kronos Philosophical Journal. Volume VII. 2018.
- Heidegger, Martin. Guiding Thoughts on the Emergence of Metaphysics, Modern Science, and Contemporary Technology. Translated by Andrew J. Mitchell and Christopher Merwin (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, under preparation). Translation of Leitgedanken zur Entstehung der Metaphysik, der neuzeitlichen Wissenschaft und der modernen Technik. Gesamtausgabe Band 76. (Klostermann, 2009).
- Kommerell, Max. “Hölderlin’s Empedocles Poems” in Philosophers and their Poets: Reflections on the Poetic Turn in German Philosophy Since Kant. (SUNY Press, forthcoming). Translation of “Hölderlins Empedokles-Dichtungen” Co-translated with Margot Wielgus.
- Gourdain, Sylvaine. “Ground, Abyss, and Primordial Ground. Heidegger in the wake of Schelling”, in Paths in Heidegger’s Later Thought, ed. Günter Figal, et. al (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, forthcoming). Translation of “Grund, Ab-grund, Ur-grund. Heidegger dans les pas de Schelling.”
- Trawny, Peter. “Heidegger, ‘World Judaism’, and Modernity”, in Gatherings: The Heidegger Circle Annual 5 (2015): 1-20. Translation of “Heidegger, ‘Welt Judentum’, und ‘Modernität’.”
- “Heidegger’s Thinking through Technology”, in Thinking Through Technology: Essays on the Writings of Martin Heidegger, edited by Aaron Wendland, Christopher Merwin, and Christos Hadjioannou. (Routledge, in preparation).
- Review of Martin Heidegger, Richard Rojcewicz (tr.), Ponderings XII-XV: Black Notebooks 1939-1941, Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal (GFPJ) (Forthcoming).
- Review of Martin Heidegger, Andrew Mitchell (tr.), Bremen and Freiburg Lectures, Continental Philosophy Review, Volume 47, Issue 3-4 (2013).
- Review of Martin Heidegger, Bret Davis (tr.), Country Path Conversations, Florida Philosophical Review, Volume XII, Number 1 (Winter 2012).
- Native: English
- Advanced: German, French, Spanish
- Reading Knowledge: Ancient Greek, Latin
TEACHING CONFERENCE PRESENTA
- PHIL 128, “Metaphysics & The Nature of Reality: Time”, Emory University, Spring 2017.
- PHIL 100, “Basic Problems of Philosophy: Philosophy & the Fundamentals of Science”, Emory University, Fall 2016.
- Phil 1100-1, “Introduction to Philosophy”, William Patterson University, Fall 2013.
- GSC 101-4, “Civilizations I”, New Jersey City University, Fall 2013.
- PHIL 200W, “Ancient and Medieval Philosophy”, Emory University, Spring 2016.
- PHIL 202W, “Renaissance and Modern Philosophy”, Emory University, Fall 2016.
- “Martin Heidegger’s ‘Question Concerning Technology”, HU 301, Introduction to Philosophy, New York City College of Technology, December 12, 2012, Brooklyn, NY
- “The Concept of Time in the Work of Jorge-Luis Borges”, 195:135:03, Introduction to Short Fiction, Rutgers University, March 6, 2012, New Brunswick, NJ
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (selected)
- “The Necessity of Time: Heidegger’s Return to Anaximander”
Heidegger Circle satellite meeting
The American Philosophical Association (APA) – Eastern Division Meeting
Savannah, GA, January 3-6, 2018.
- “The Ethics of the ‘Between’: Heidegger, the Open, and our Environment”
“Heidegger: Dwelling, Thinking, and the Ethical Life”, Centre for Advanced Research in European Philosophy
King’s University College at Western University, London, ON, October 27-29, 2017.
- “Thinking Nature Inceptually: From the Open Region to Physis, and the Concept of Nature”
51st Annual Meeting of the Heidegger Circle, “Art, Landscape, Technology”
Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA, March 31 – April 2, 2017.
- “Thinking the Unthinkable: Deleuze, Nonrepresentation, and the Plane of Immanence”
Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy (SPEP), 55th annual meeting
Utah Valley University, Salt Lake City, Utah, October 20-22, 2016.
- “Heidegger’s Thinking of χρόνος in Aristotle and Anaximander”
Collegium Phænomenologicum Participants Conference,
Collegium Phænomenologicum, Città di Castello, Italy, July 9 – 10, 2016.
- “The Realization of Being in Aristotle’s Account of Coming-to-Be”
Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy (SAGP), Annual Conference
Fordham University, New York, NY, October 23 – 25, 2016.
- “Nietzsche’s Gods and Nobility in The Birth of Tragedy”
Nietzsche Society satellite meeting
Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy (SPEP),
Atlanta, GA, October 8-10, 2015.
- “Heidegger’s Justice: Ontology, Temporality, and the Esteeming of beings”
Heidegger Circle Meeting: Reading Heidegger for the Sake of Peace and Justice
Loyola University, Baltimore, Maryland, May 7–10, 2015.