A project of Dr. Sarah Higinbotham's Oxford students
Literature Mixtapes
“Satan’s Mixtape: A Misconstrued Perception” (Avery Clarke)

1. The lyrics “As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death / I take a look at my life, and realize there’s nothing left” embodies Satan’s state of mind and being when he is initially exiled to Hell. Physically, he is lying prone on the ground in hell, the valley of the shadow of death. He lost his “transcendent brightness” (Milton 86) and everything including his dignity. Yet he rallies his strength and realizes he is in hell, the ‘gangster’s paradise’. “Though changed in outward lustre, that fixed mind” (Milton 97), Satan recognizes that he will never bow down to God, and he would rather rule in Hell. The lyrics “I can’t live a normal life, I was raised by the street / So I gotta be down with the hood team” resonate with Satan’s temperament at this time. 

2. “Back in Blood” is a somewhat disconcerting song in which Pooh Shiesty raps about terrorizing his enemies and dares them to get revenge on him and “get it back in blood.” When Satan fell he had just attempted to wage a war against God. Although he failed, he is still determined to continue his war against Heaven, and he does not want to do so peacefully. If Satan had any leverage against God, I imagine that he would taunt him with this song and dare him to come fight and “get it back in blood.” I think this song would also be applicable to Satan prior to his fall when he rallies his supporters and gets cocky about his power and animosity towards God. 

3. “Start a Riot” is a fast-paced song with a strong and steady beat. It is a song I would listen to at the gym to get pumped up and enthusiastic about my workout, which is why I envision Satan playing a song like this as he rallies the other fallen demons. The song begins with a resounding “Bang!” and opens with the lyrics “Who in here tryna start a riot?”, which further resonates with Satan’s efforts to assemble the demons to get their revenge on God. Satan resolves to put forth all of his effort to get what he wants, which is reminiscent of the lyrics “You ain’t got a chance, boy / I thrown in everything but the kitchen sink”. 

4. The lyrics of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” are less directly related to Satan in Paradise Lost than the other songs, but I feel like the general sentiment and eeriness captures Satan’s temperament when he hatches the plan to hijack Earth. The unyielding opening lyrics “Load up on guns, bring your friends” reflect Satan’s disconcerting and unstable actions. The confusion and mystery in the song reminds me of the anticipation I felt when I first read Paradise Lost and wondered how the poem would continue. The lyrics in “Smells Like Teen Spirit” may not have a concrete meaning, but they are sung resolutely and confidently, which is reminiscent of Milton’s writing and enjambment. The lyrics feel menacing to me, but the overall feeling I get from the song is generally positive and motivating, if not slightly confusing. I sentiment evoked by this song is similar to the conflicting admiration and condemnation I felt towards Satan’s actions in the first books of Paradise Lost. 

5. After Satan successfully manipulates his way out of Hell, it is as if he has risen from the ashes and overcome the forces that were keeping him down. “Tell the Vision” tells the story of Pop Smoke getting out of the hood and becoming wealthy and successful. Pop Smoke reminisces on his childhood struggles, but quickly flexes his newfound richness and privilege. Satan would resonate with the lyrics “N**** we made it / We Made It, we made it whether you like it or not” as he celebrates his escape from Hell and looks towards his prospectively prosperous future. Pop Smoke raps about the material things he can now buy and states “These Richard Milles are one of one, shit, how could I watch?”, which is similar to how Satan views Earth, a new possession for him to acquire. Even though Satan is out of Hell, he still intends to bring his usual antics with him to Earth, which is similar to the lyric “Difference city, same ghetto, bring the Woos on tour.” 

6. Satan has a deluded sense of self-esteem and arrogance that convinces him that he is “the man”. I think that “The Man” by Aloe Blacc is intended to be a motivating mantra for people doing good things with their life, but Satan would misconstrue the intentions and use it to fuel his presumptuous ego. Satan would definitely resonate with the lyrics “Well you can tell everybody / Go ahead and tell everybody / I’m the man, I’m the man, I’m the man” and believe that “[He’s] a soldier standing on [his] feet/ No [he] won’t surrender and won’t retreat.” The lyrics “It’s time to do what must be done / Be a king when kingdom comes” eerily parallels Satan’s conviction to rule Earth, the kingdom come. 

7. Johnny Cash wrote “Hurt” at the end of his career, right before he passed away. In the song he reminisces on his rewarding life, but he does not feel prosperous or privileged. He is both numb and in pain. I envision this to be a song Satan listens to after his final fall when he is reverted to a snake form along with the other demons. It would be ironic for him to “Wear this crown of thorns / Upon my liar’s chain / Full of broken thoughts / I cannot repair.” Satan is incapable of empathy or compassion, but he is full of self-pity, which is why I think he would resonate with the lyrics “I will let you down / I will make you hurt” and wallow in his fallen form questioning “What have I become?” Yet I think that despite his failures, Satan would not change his ways if he was given a second chance, just like the lyrics “If I could start again / I would keep myself / I would find a way.”