26 Day Marathon?!

My podcast will be based on the 1981 26-day marathon hoax. Kimo Nakajimi, a Japanese long distance runner, misinterpreted the directions as running for 26 days rather than 26 miles. The director knew very little Japanese, so his translation had taken on a whole different meaning to Kimo. In 1981, The Daily Mail had even published pictures, concrete evidence, of Kimo running.  In a sports radio show, I will follow the runner in a car and “interview” him every few day on his progress and how he is feeling.  In order to make it seem more credible, I will interview a few spectators on their struggle to urge him to stop running and their rare sightings of him throughtout the 26 days. I will try making whoever is Kimo to sound breathless and exhausted in order to make the audience seem as if the hoax is real. The realistic dialaogue and tone will hopefully effectively convey a sense of disbelief and awe

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 26 Day Marathon?!

1. Lindsey Grubbs says:

Nice details about how you’ll pull off realism here, Liliana. I think this could work well and is simple enough to pull off in 3-5 minutes. I’m wondering what a more analytical approach (more Radiolab than War of the Worlds) would sound like. What bigger themes does this particular hoax tie in to? Even if you end up going with the fake broadcast in the end, it will be helpful to think through the stakes of this particular hoax.

2. Liliana Zha says:

I could make it into more of a sports report on a past event? Maybe make it into a podcast about a past event rather than present and include reflections from spectators as well as the runner.