Studium is how one culturally participates in the figures, the faces, the gestures, the settings and the actions of an image (Barthes, 26). Studium is an unconcerned desire that can be characterized as “I like/I don’t like” (Barthes 27). While, punctum rises from the scene and shoots out of an image and pierces its viewer. (Barthes, 26). Punctum is a detail that sticks out for the viewer. Therefore, punctum disturbs studium.

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 8.19.14 PM

This image from CNN shows a Spanish civil guard pulling a sub-Saharan migrant from a border fence that divides Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Melilla. The detail that rose from this scene “like an arrow,” was the spanish guard trying to pull down the migrant. I can’t tell if the guard is somehow tied to the fence for safety, but it seems like he has to be if he’s putting in that much effort to pull someone down. Otherwise, he’s risking his own life. In terms of stadium, I don’t like this image because of the violence behind it. Another detail that sticks out to me is that some of the men are barefoot, which makes me reflect on how impoverished and how desperate they must be to seek a better life.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/world/gallery/week-in-photos-1017/index.html?hpt=hp_c3