We Can’t Breathe

There is so much that can be said about Ferguson and the blatant racial injustices in this country. Before college, I was fortunate enough to never experience blatant racism before and was blissfully ignorant to its sustained existence. I’ve had friends tell me about racist experiences, and now I have witnessed them for myself. I am completely appalled by the fact that the murderers of Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Deion Fludd, Kimani Gray, Malissa Williams, Timothy Russell, Reynaldo Cuevas, Andy Lopez, Jordan Baker, Tamir Rice, Dante Parker, Tyree Woodson, Victor White III, Yvette Smith, McKenzie Cochran, Miriam Carey, Jonathan Ferrell, Carlos Alcis, Larry Eugene Jackson and the thousands of other murderers of black lives are getting away…WELL WITH MURDER! And that’s just a part of the list of people who have died THIS YEAR ALONE! From the racist comments I’ve seen on yik yak, to the complete insensitivity from Wagner and several Emory Professors, I can’t believe Emory calls itself a “liberal community”.

But I digress because I could go on forever. One hashtag that has been spurring as a result of these incidents is #wecantbreathe or #Icantbreathe.

10430883_10205301928204796_5558207700597753836_n

Myself and several other students on campus are actively protesting and showing support for these victims and their families and overall just trying to educate and put an end to the racial prejudice that has gone on for far too long.

Below is a pick me and several undergrads, law students, students from Rollins and and several other Emory schools took.

10635755_10152395099616783_6163381379865728187_nEven celebrities like Lebron are taking a stand. I especially love all the posts from around the world and how the world is uniting to fight for justice. Yes I agree that some protesters took it too far with looting and blocking highways.

la_a_kobe01jr_C_300x200However, while some are in their beds resting and chilling peacefully with their families, others are simultaneously fighting for their right to LIVE! on a DAILY basis!

Lebron says:

“I think the beauty of our country lies in its democracy. I think if we ever lose the courage to be able to speak up for the things that we believe in, I think we really lose the value that our country stands for.

“It’s important that we have our opinions. It’s important that we stand up for what we believe in and we all don’t have to agree with it and it’s completely fine. That’s what makes this a beautiful country.”

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/story/_/id/12007630/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-wear-breathe-shirts-warmup

I respect celebrities like Lebron and even these Rams players who had to APOLOGIZE for exercising their first amendment rights? The teams business manager stated,”I’d remind the NFL and their players that it is not the violent thugs burning down buildings that buy their advertiser’s products.”  Because apparently, capitalism and consumerism is more important than justice. -______-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/30/st-louis-police-rams-hands-up_n_6245792.html

This Friday there are Emory buses providing students with rides to join the National March Against Police Violence in Washington D.C. Marypat Hector the National Youth Director for the National Action Network has agreed to provide transportation free of charge for Emory students who wish to attend the march.

The buses will depart from Woodruff Circle at 6:30 PM SHARP with plans to arrive in Washington, DC at 8:00AM. At the conclusion of the march, students will be transported back to Emory University. You should arrive back to Emory University on Sunday morning no later than 5AM.

Food will not be provided, but the vans will make periodic stops for participants to purchase food and use the restroom.

Please do not sign up to ride unless you are absolutely sure you can attend. The deadline to sign up is Thursday, Dec 11th at 8AM.

Unfortunately, history has repeated itself…or has BEEN on repeat it seems. Hopefully the tape will stop playing before my children and yours are brought into this world.

Here’s a link to National March event on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/493654010777403/494578664018271/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity