Twins study finds no evidence that marijuana lowers IQ in teens

I remember recently reading this article regarding IQ loss and marijuana use. As this article notes, there was a well-publicized study that indicated how heavy adolescent marijuana use decreased IQ, and it went viral and alarmed a lot of people. This study refutes these original findings, using identical twins to test if pot is a true threat to cognitive ability. I thought the article, written in sciencemag, did a pretty good job at correctly outlining the information in the original piece. The author explains the purpose of the research, and how it was innovative; testing large groups of teenage drug users over time. In the new study, they examined “789 pairs of adolescent twins from two ongoing studies—one from the Los Angeles, California, area and the other from Minnesota—who enrolled between the ages of 9 and 11. Over the course of 10 years, the team administered five intelligence tests and confidential surveys about marijuana use.” They found between those who reported daily marijuana use for six plus months, and those who had smoked thirty times of less didn’t show any IQ difference. It succulently presents and findings, yet also provides its limitations, which is noted in the original study. In this manner I thought it as thorough; giving the basic outline, methods, results, significance and areas for improvement, while noting both the proponents and detractors. As a disclaimer, I do not have strong feelings one way or the other about the content, I just thought it was an interesting piece.
Study of teenage twins finds little evidence that using marijuana lowers IQ.