“When I Walk” commentary

From the film When I Walk, a couple a things stood out to me in particular. First was watching Jason’s disease rapidly progress along the course of the documentary. His debilitation was so fast and overcoming that more and more parts of his daily life became difficult or inaccessible. On such a more minute scale, it made me think of when I tore my hip flexor my senior year of high school. I remember trying to run while it was healing and pulling up after 10 feet, realizing I could barely walk. The emotions I felt upon that realization brought me back to the title, and how above all it is valuable to appreciate the ostensibly insignificant abilities we take for granted on a daily basis. Because of the sheer evolvement of his MS, you could frame his life and the people around him in such a way to see if they changed too. During the film, though I tried my best to put myself in their shoes, it seemed the central people in Jason’s life tried, but didn’t fully succeed, in understanding his condition. This is completely speculation, as he may not have minded how they treated him, or simply appreciated their candor and presence. That being said, his wife at times seemed unintentionally callous regarding his MS, and her need to take a hiking trip by herself seemed confusing. His mother, too, seemed almost too far on this side of the spectrum, giving him the truth too bluntly that it lacked any motherly compassion. Overall, I found it to be a really eye-opening film that gave me a perspective on a disease about which I knew little.