Love Triangles in Film and TV- Why Are They So Popular???

As I pondered what to write about for my final blog post I reflected on the recent shows and movies I’ve watched, attempting to find common themes or story elements. Currently, I have been watching a new Apple TV+ show called The Buccaneers, over break I saw the new Hunger Games movie, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, and I am rewatching one of my favorite shows, The Vampire Diaries. I realized that among vastly different settings of dystopia and history, one common theme lies among these two shows and one movie- a love triangle. Though more prevalent in The Vampire Diaries and The Buccaneers than The Hunger Games, this love triangle narrative is one that dominates popular TV and film, perhaps without most of us even realizing it. 

The Buccaneers (2023). Pictured is Theo (Left), Nan (Middle), and Guy (Right) the three subjects of the love triangle, literally seated in a triangle as they play a game of poker!!!

For me, “The Love Triangle” has become so common it feels weird for there to not be one in a show or movie I am watching. And, though I am not proud to admit it, when there is a love triangle in something I am watching, it becomes all I care about. Quickly, the show turns into something I want to skip through just to see the parts with the couple I prefer (I am literally feeling this as I watch The Buccaneers…). In less action-packed or suspenseful pieces, love triangles grasp viewers’ attention and is honestly what sustains viewership too. Without the drama and the anticipation of finding out who a person chooses in a love triangle, why watch? While it is certain that there are many amazing movies and shows without this trope, this detail certainly entices me and leads me to start a show much quicker than if I just thought a show looked interesting.

As I was looking for outside sources that discussed this phenomena, I found an interesting article from Imperium Publication that specifically explores the prevalence of love triangles in the media today. One particular section stood out to me where author Heenakshi wrote: “the entanglement of three characters, each with their own longings, motivations, and flaws, beautifully depicts the complexity of human emotions. Love triangles allow writers to delve extensively into character development” (Heenakshi). This quote made me think about love triangles and why we love them, beyond the fact that they provide drama. Perhaps, viewers connect so much to love triangles because they see the humanity in the situation. Rather than a one-true-love trope where two people meet and it’s perfect from the start, this trope shows the turbulence of a real relationship, and this situation leaves one person alone. Everyone can sympathize with the loser, everyone has been them once, and everyone can look to the winner with hope that they too will win the love of their life one day. Although a love triangle may seem so cliche and not deep at all, when I look at it this way it makes me feel a bit better about being so obsessed with them. 

Interestingly, our excitement towards love triangles extends beyond fiction. Think about the amount of times you have seen magazines or gossip posts pinning two celebrities after the same love interest (which is usually not even real drama). Whether or not it’s real, the media has caught on to our world’s obsession with this trope and will employ it whenever they can to make money and boost sales. 

The whole idea of a love triangle is not new, but I am interested by how much it seems to have grown to dominate the media now, especially when it comes to teen marketed movies/TV. It is clear that the entertainment industry sees the great reception of this trope and thus pushes to keep this narrative in circulation. I wonder what new narrative will rise up next and take over the love triangle trope that we have become well acquainted with!?

Check out the article here: https://www.imperiumpublication.com/post/the-appeal-of-love-triangle-in-movies