(Searcher) Love Actually

Over Thanksgiving I watched “Love Actually” directed by Richard Curtis and I thought it was a heartfelt romantic-comedy that was fitting for the Christmas times, but could’ve been executed a little better. The film contains nine different storylines, which all attempt to tell a tale of love. However, I thought that none of the storylines had a plot that was deep or memorable. The presence of the multiple story lines captivated interest at first, but I felt like it was difficult to really relate or personalize ourselves with any of the characters because there were so many.

The film also builds and emphasizes the idea that “love is blind”. However, I think that this sentiment alone is a little weak to have an entire movie based off of it. Almost all nine storylines end with a happy ending, which is unrealistic and present an unreasonable stance on love even with the spirit of Christmastime.

Additionally, the film also fails to criticize the poor actions of the male characters — sneaking around with a co-worker or professing ones love to their best friend’s wife. The film, at its essence, is about men doing things. The reason I think that it had and still has so much popularity is because of the familiarity of love and a desire for a happy ending.

After watching the film, I wanted to figure out why the film is still popular and why it always comes back during Christmastime. Curtis mentions how the film shows how he was probably “a youthful optimist when he wrote it.” Within a time where films about violence and trauma is popular, he chooses to write and direct films about love because “there are a million people falling in love, feeling it’s the most interesting moment of their lives.” While I understand that the film’s appeal is its optimism and happy endings for all of its nine storylines, I just feel like it could have been executed better and that aspects of the film are a little outdated.