On behalf of the Library Core Systems team, I’d like to share some highlights of our activities over the last quarter.
- Elizabeth Peele started June 8th as our new Systems Librarian. You can read more about Elizabeth in the LITS Online News article from June 26, 2015.
- Christopher Spalding resigned his position as Director of Libraries Core Systems at the end of June. Kim Braxton assumed responsibilities as Interim Director for Core Systems, and I am Interim Coordinator for Core Systems. Christopher Spalding’s position has been posted under an expanded Division scope: Director of Library Technology and Digital Strategies. Kitty McNeil is chairing the search committee, which is actively reviewing resumes.
- Alex Cooper and Laura Akerman are currently attending IGeLU (International Group of Ex Libris Users) in Budapest, Hungary.
- OCLC FirstSearch — and WorldCat specific to Emory users — was migrated to a new web interface for Emory and other Galileo users at end of May. Core Systems configured the new interface for Emory, including the integration with our ILLiad ILL request page. Future improvements will be realized as OCLC further develops the product.
- Custom URL shorteners for emorylits.info, emoryit.info and emorylib.info have been implemented.
- The new records.emory.edu website, rebuilt in the Cascade Server CMS, will soon go live.
- After EUCLID was retired on June 1st, the www.library.emory.edu URL now redirects to libraries.emory.edu, a new page for discovery that directs users to the individual libraries and discoverE search. The page will also provide a new home for the all-libraries staff directory and other cross-library information.
Alma, Library Services Center, EZ Proxy and other projects
- Document Delivery: requesting has been enabled through discoverE for selected user groups.
- Library Service Center: the WB Meyer Inventory Control System planning and integration is underway in collaboration with Georgia Tech.
- EZ Proxy: new configurations to enable selective, affiliation-based access to library resources are scheduled for implementation on September 14th.
- Science Commons: in support of the collections housed in the new Science Commons at the Atwood Chemistry Center, we have updated library names, notices, and collection names, as well as automated cataloging of the new McNaughton Popular Reading collection for the Science Commons.
- Alma: the Core Systems team submitted all required Alma migration and configuration forms, Primo data sources and configurations, and our initial data load into Alma is complete. Testing has begun, and training is ongoing. Lars Meyer has taken the lead role working with Graydon Kirk, project manager, on the Alma implementation. You can find regular updates about the Alma migration under the Alma Project section of the Core Systems team’s blog (https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/librarycoreservices/), and in regular email updates sent to the LIBALL-L listserv.
Please send questions about Library Core Systems’ activities to coreserviceshelp [at] emory [dot] edu. The team’s status web page gives information about specific systems and instructions for reporting problems, at http://status.library.emory.edu.
Digital Library Program Coordinator, Interim Core Systems Coordinator