Tanya McKibben welcomes the world to her Diva Den

The Diva Den.

Tanya McKibben (administrative assistant, EASI) was recently featured in a beautiful, three-page spread in American Miniaturist Magazine‘s July 2018 issue. Miniaturists are folks who create beautiful art depicting the world around them, or the world from their dreams, at about 1/12 the scale of real life.

We took a few moments to sit down with Tanya to discuss her interesting hobby:

Q: What got you into this pastime?

A: As an adult I’ve always loved miniatures and tiny things, but I thought others would think it was a hobby for kids until I discovered on the internet through online groups that there are so many others into this adult hobby.

Each item is 1/12 of its natural size.

In 2003, my father built me a 6-bedroom dollhouse that I had to furnish and decorate. I purchased a lot of things for it and also made a lot of things. Ever since then I have been making miniature scenes nonstop.

My favorite thing to do is take items that are meant for something else and turn them into a pieces I can use in my miniature scenes. For example, in the Diva Den scene from the magazine, the perfume in the display shelf on the right wall above the sofa was made out of various beads. The display shelf was made from a sample that was sent to me by a lighting company. The carpeting was made from felt.

Q: Do you sell your creations?

A: I have made and sold individual items if someone requests them, but I’ve never put one of my scenes up for sale, even though I have been asked. It’s just a fun hobby for me and selling would take the fun out it because I would have to worry about everything being perfect and pleasing someone else.

Q: How long does each piece take usually?

Tanya’s man cave! I’d love to watch a Falcon’s game there.

A: I don’t really know, but I’d say about 3 months as I don’t get to work on them every day.

Q: What’s your favorite piece of all time?

A: My favorite scene is my porch scene that I made a couple of years ago. My second favorite would be the Diva Den.

Q: What’s your next project?

A: I am currently working on a basement man-cave. I have pictures of a few items that I’ve made or repurposed posted on my Pinterest page.

To read the article in its entirety, go to http://online.pubhtml5.com/agax/umaw/#p=63.

You can also visit Tanya’s Pinterest page and see her many creations at: https://www.pinterest.com/cre8tiveone11/my-miniature-creations/

One Reply to “Tanya McKibben welcomes the world to her Diva Den”