Kim Comstock: “I enjoyed coming to work every day.”

Kim Comstock.

Kim Comstock, the business manager for LITS HR, is finally leaving Emory after 37 amazing years.

Born in Webster, NY (outside of Rochester), Kim attended college at Cedar Crest College (a private woman’s college in Allentown, PA) and earned a degree in philosophy and studio arts. “Philosophy makes you contemplate life. I still like reading philosophy books.”

Kim got married to Steve Comstock in 1976 and they lived in Manhattan, NY. However, once the couple decided to have children, they realized perhaps Manhattan wasn’t the best place. Steve’s company was just opening an office in Atlanta so off they went.

Kim started at Emory in 1981 but took a year off for each of her children. Her first job was as an administrator in the development office. When she returned from having her first child, she went to work with Dean Palms and President Laney. There, she enjoyed the first job-share in the history of Emory University with Denise Brubaker. After the birth of her second child, Kim worked for President Carter and William Foege of the CDC. Later, Ron Wood offered her an admin position in the Emory Computing Center (EUCC). She later became the HR manager and then business manager.

“I’ve really enjoyed the people at Emory,” says Kim.

In retirement, Kim will be joining Steve, who has been living the past year in Brussels, Belgium, working a communications job. However, he plans to retire on July 1 and they will begin a vacation to Brussels, Berlin (where Kim once went to school), Portugal, Normandy, and Vienna (“before it sinks”). Later, Kim is going on a trip with her sister to the Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu.

“I’ve really enjoyed the people at Emory,” says Kim. “Many good friends have already retired. In my position, there was a tremendous variety to my work. I hope people found me helpful and friendly.”

“When I first started, we had less than 60 people and we enjoyed great picnics where we spent time with our co-workers and families. With the size of our organization, you don’t get to know people as well as you used to,” says Kim. “I do much of my work in email and I don’t get to see as many people as I used to.”

“Interestingly, the people in EUCC when I first started were not computer people, because computers weren’t really a thing yet. They were physicists and PhDs in fields such as chemistry. They were brilliant people with a wide variety of interests,” says Kim.

NOT John Connerat with Kim.

John Connerat, who managed Kim for several years, has this to say about her:

“It’s hard to believe that Kim will be retiring after 37 years at Emory University and that I was privileged to spend just a short amount of time with her: just a mere 13 of those 37 years! Being new to the division (but not new to Emory) back in 2005, Kim, along with the venerable Nyta Richardson, was the go-to source for information about anything and everything. I mean everything! She knew everyone, not just in the division but also key people across campus. You couldn’t walk across campus with her without running into someone that she knew. And she knew them well.”

“When a longtime business process, complicated floor layout, nonsensical job description, or even a drab paint color made no sense, she could recount the “inside story” of the discussions and the people that insisted on the crazy result. She always had an answer and often advised me to just “let it go.” I wonder how many times I took that advice! I remember spending time in her office and mine laughing uproariously about some of the predicaments that were created by her…or by me…or, quite frequently, by our colleagues. With her supreme calm and her wonderful disposition, she made my job a whole lot easier and a lot more fun.”

“Kim has given a lot to Emory over the years, and I’m privileged to call her a co-worker and a friend (even if she still thinks beer is “bitter.”) Whatever. Wine is too sweet! If that was our biggest disagreement over the years, I think we did pretty well together. I’ll miss seeing you around, Kim, but I’m excited for your future.”

In terms of advice for her colleagues, Kim says, “Working at Emory is more than just salary. There are many opportunities that people can take advantage of. I enjoyed coming to work everyday and loved the variety and diversity I found here. My career fit my life balance perfectly and for that I am very grateful.”

One Reply to “Kim Comstock: “I enjoyed coming to work every day.””

1. I will most certainly miss seeing Kim and her bright smile. She’s a true treasure and Emory has lost a wonderful resourceful staff.