‘Slave State’ of Mexicans

http://www.news10.net/story/news/investigations/2014/08/04/california-force-labor-trafficking-investigated/13608389/

This article recounts an investigation into a company named Pure Forest based in Idaho with branches into Northern California, which has been found to be the site of forced labor trafficking. Many of the migrant workers forced to work for their company are from Mexico, and “stained with toxic chemicals and threatened with guns”. They couldn’t leave because the company supervisor confiscated their passports and they are usually hidden out of sight. U.S. Attorny Benjamin Wagner stated, ” on the labor side, it’s hard to say how widespread trafficking is because it’s not a crime that has really bright lines around it- easy to find, easy to see.” They were given the opportunity to work under said company by an agency specializing in helping migrants to obtain jobs.

Recently comedian Chris Rock commented on California as a modern day slave state for people of Mexican descent. He stated while talking on Hollywood “….It’s the most liberal town in the world, and there’s a part of it that’s kind of racist — not racist like “F— you, n****r” racist, but just an acceptance that there’s a slave state in L.A. There’s this acceptance that Mexicans are going to take care of white people in L.A. that doesn’t exist anywhere else.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-five-filmmaker-chris-rock-753223

Do you believe this assertion by Chris Rock to be true? Is there an acception, maybe not just in California, but all across America that Mexicans, or more realistically, people of latino ethnicity, must work the menial jobs? In conjunction with the first article do you feel people are more likely to get away with forced labor trafficking because the general public allows these companies to get away with it?

One thought on “‘Slave State’ of Mexicans”

1. In the United States there is an American sense of superiority over other nations. Therefore it seems reasonable to say that immigrants who come into the United States aren’t given the same opportunities not only because they are here illegally (which is the primary reason they use to excuse mistreatment and harassment immigrants) but also because they aren’t “privileged” enough to be American and therefore “lose” some value as a person. Over the years there has always been a sort of hostile mentality towards all immigrants coming into the United States people from Germany, and Ireland for example. But in the recent years the words “illegal immigrant” now have a distinct face because they are usually associated with a Mexican. I have never lived in California so do not know the situation there personally but I did live in Arizona and as many know it is not the most immigration friendly state. I myself lived in Phoenix where it is full of Hispanics especially Mexicans and I also saw there is a similar concept as the one in California. It is not as extreme as taking away passports and forcing people to labor but there is the feel of dominance of the employer over the employee. Many people I knew had great injustices done to them like less pay, no benefits, the risk of getting fired without a legitimate explanation, and people couldn’t complain because they would get threatened with getting la migra (the immigration police) on them. There was something in particular that Chris Rock said that stood out to me from his article “You’re telling me no Mexicans are qualified to do anything at a studio? Really? Nothing but mop up? What are the odds that that’s true? The odds are, because people are people, that there’s probably a Mexican David Geffen mopping up for somebody’s company right now. The odds are that there’s probably a Mexican who’s that smart who’s never going to be given a shot”. The odds that he speaks of are true, for not just because he is from another country he is incapable of thinking, visualizing, and succeeding in “the big things”. I feel that there is an acceptation nationwide that Hispanics must be the ones to do the menial jobs since as stated before it is thought that they are not worthy of another job since they are not legal in the United States.