Journal 2 – Eileen Hernandez

As Hazel reluctantly places the clump on the ground, Mei notices another part of the bird. Mixed in with the pieces of a shattered burl on a fallen branch, there is a single wing. It is separated perfectly from the body of the bird. No blood or tendons, no evidence that the wing was ever connected to anything. It has not been chewed on or torn apart by animals. The only thing in the city untouched by the storm.

Absorbing the perfect separation of a wing, the turmoil of the park, she imagines a heavenly order, an intervention. An absent authority has decided a purpose must be served. She cannot decide if it is cruel or ambivalent. Hazel walks over and picks up the wing in her mouth. She drops it immediately as though it is hot” (11-12).

Small Beauty – Jia Qing Wilson-Yang
*Note: I accidentally wrote my journal on Small Beauty before I realized it was not listed as an option (lol), but received approval to write about it.

In this passage, Mei and Hazel, Sam’s dog now inherited by Mei, are walking in the nearby park. Hazel runs off and returns holding a piece of bird flesh with feathers. Within the broken clump, Mei sees a surprisingly intact wing of a bird. This bizarre observation prompts Mei to consider whether something divine played a role in preserving this wing and what it could represent. When Hazel attempts to pick up the wing she seems physically struck by it, and lets go of it immediately.

As in other moments that Mei and Hazel have walked in the park, both characters are very immersed in nature as they take in their surroundings. I chose this passage because of the prominent setting of nature in the novel. The story opens in the park, and here it is again emphasized as a setting of tranquility. Hazel, in her usual tail-wagging manner, sprints across the park fields, taking in the autumn weather. Mei is always very observant of the leaves, wind, grass, and weather elements around her. She takes the time to recognize and describe these otherwise overlooked details of nature. Wilson-Yang employs a reflective and gentle tone to highlight Mei’s natural curiosity and alternate thinking to what other observers of these phenomena may typically believe. Even the gruesome image of mauled bird feathers and a mysterious wing is unexpectedly described placidly, which illustrates Mei’s mindfulness towards life, nature, and divinity.

This passage illuminated to me Mei’s love of nature and allowed me to better understand her personality. She seems observant, although extremely introverted, focusing her attention on what she sees around her more often than she takes the lead in human interactions. Because of this park scene, I can infer that Mei’s unique thinking processes about the environment around her may contribute to her alienation and inability to easily form relationships with others who do not think like her. One question I have about this passage is about the intended significance of the bird wing. The wing’s appearance seemed abrupt and later disregarded, but I believe it may be a metaphor for Mei and how she may possess an unbreakable yet dormant spirit that has yet to be activated. However, at this point early in the book, it is difficult to make these connections and assumptions about her character. We instead have questions about the purpose of these abrupt emphases on nature and what they can gradually reveal about Mei, particular in terms of her identity, desires, and motivations.

3 comments

1. I agree, and I think you have very insightful points! I also found Mei’s love of nature interesting, and how she felt more free to be herself in a more rural town versus in the city. This surprised me when I read it because I would think that people would be more accepting in a city than in the smaller town, however it’s possible she felt safer in the small town because of Sandy. As for the bird wing, I’m not sure exactly what the symbolism is, however the idea that it’s untouched by a storm might be symbolic of trying to find peace and acceptance in a time of upheaval (i.e. Sandy’s death).

2. As you said, this passage illuminates a lot about Mei’s personality, but to me, it illustrates how detached Mei has become from the loss of people close to her. As for your question about the wing, I feel it symbolizes this disconnect between Mei and the rest of the world.

3. Hi Eileen,
    Very insightful points and I agree with you. Just as Margarethe said, when I was reading it, I found that Mei feels more comfortable living in a small town rather than living in a city. That makes sense to me because I like to live in a rural town because such place may have less pollution and safer than living in a big city.

For the wings, I think it symbolizes that Mei fly to where she like and gets the freedom.