Journal 3

Slipknot- devil inside

The genre of the song is metal rock, however the music video and album portray a level of horror. Some of the biggest conventions present during the early 2000s were that “metal” and “rock” are not suppose to be this. I would say Slipknot and Linkin park broke away from generic metal and rock and presented unique forms of the art that actually propelled the genre forward; with the heavy metal and screamo from slipknot and the rap rock introduced by linkin park. Although this song is quite pioneering for the genre, I can say without a doubt a lot of modern rock and metal sample a lot from slipknots earlier work in 1999.

The lyrics for devil inside is actually communicating that we all have our demons and issues and mental distress, and that its okay, we should try to conquer them, conquer our fears; albeit the expression of these ideas are mashed in with hard core screaming and death metal guitar solos.

Regarding queerness, I would say the rock and metal genre’s of post 2000s have great openness to everyone. I remember last year I went to a Slipknot’s concert and the openness for anyone to be in that community is quite remarkable. I saw people of all kinds, and even being a colored person myself. Generally societies perception is that I am not supposed to listen to that kind of music and that it is reserved for neo-nazi, is quite funny because in practice, everyone from all walks of life listen to it. I think this is mainly because the image of slipknot may be devil worshippers but if you sit down and listen to lyrics it talks about mental illness, talks about being judged, talks about hardships that all human beings, queer or not experience and the community knows that.