Prompt 5 – Chris Cardenas

TEXT CHOSEN: SINNER GET READY – Lingua Ignota

DESCRIPTION/SUMMARY:

Here is what this text means to me: A jarring and at time repulsive sound of eclectic instrumentation and haunting lyrics, the album SINNER GET READY is one of those albums I could not shake out of my head for many reasons. I am obsessed with the approach Lingua Ignota takes on religious themes and ideologies in such a brash and almost blasphemous way, themes that have both resonated and caused remorse within myself as a queer person.

AUDIENCE SPECULATION:

The intended audience I am imagining for my close-reading essay is: anyone with any sort of experience with religion and interest in artful music. People belonging to those two discourse communities would most likely be my intended audience. Anyone with a passion for art expression who is also interested in religious ideas and themes, or have experienced them first hand, would want to see this perspective as it is so skillfully hidden yet clear. My close-reading would be important to help locate perhaps what Lingua Ignota is trying to say with this album, and would help provide a new point of view in the muddled water that is religious discourse.

FORMAL AND GENERIC CONVENTIONS:

The 2-3 formally/generically similar texts I have discovered through research are:

Arca. (2020). Kick I [Album]. XL Recording Label.

Similar approach, personal themes shrouded in abrasive sounds and melodies that carry both emphasis on instrumentation in developing those themes and on lyrical composition informing that instrumentation

Spellling. (2021). The Turning Wheel [Album]. Sacred Bones Records.

Same as above, personal themes though more expansive and generic, not abrasive in sound but still rich in instrumentation that, coupled with lyricism, works to interweave themes into a whole.

Some of the generic conventions of these texts are [provide a brief analysis of 3 formal and generic conventions].

Usage of lyricism that informs instrumentation (and vice versa): moments in the album in which a stanza directly matches with the way a sound moves, explodes, or hesitates that add to the overall theme of the album

The use of development in story, not a single song contains the entirety of the theme in one, it requires an entire listen

Personality and distinctness, a need to be unique

CONTENT:

I intend to talk about my object in relation to religion and expressions of creativity that are in reference to or a result of religion.

COURSE THEMATICS:

I think that my object intersects/overlaps with class in these ways: the act of close-reading in itself is aligned with the course work done throughout the class. More broadly, it requires a critical lens of perspective that is oftentimes found in the readings within this course.

QUESTIONS:

I am struggling with/ cannot seem to figure out/ do not know how to approach picking a single song to expand on within the album itself. I would like more clarification on choosing representative pieces within a whole. I need support with linking ideas with one another.