2 comments

1. Greetings. I am opening this space for your to comment below and start playing with our blogging. In subsequent weeks, please make sure you post your comment below the prompter of the week. If you are submitting a comment unrelated to the weekly discussion, let me know so I can point it out to the rest of the group.

Happy blogging!

1. I really enjoyed watching Blancanieves/Snow White this week. After reading Pavlovic’s discussion of Un Chien Andalou and Andres Zamora’s article on Violence and the Spanish Eyes, I was watching closely for the same symbolism in Blancanieves. Pavlovic makes an interesting argument that the violence of the sliced eye in Un Chien Andalou is an act of aggression, not only on the woman or the animal, but on the spectator/audience of the film as well. Zamora echoes this idea by arguing that the depiction of violence in Spanish Cinema is an act of violence on the Nation itself saying, “Trying to blind the enemy, which is ourselves, we inescapably shoot our own eye out.” In Blancanieves, the eyes also contain important symbolic meaning. Carmen’s eyes remind her father of her dead mother, are used to show how Carmen regains her memory of her father after having amnesia, and express her pain and tragedy in the final moments of the film as a tear falls from her sleeping eye showing how she is still aware of being exploited and unwantedly kissed even in her unconscious state. The final scene of Blancanieves is beautifully haunting and reflects the ideas argued by Pavlovic and Zamora that the act of exploitation and violence on Camen mimics the violence and exploitation of the Spanish people. I am very much looking forward to our discussion of Blancanieves in class tomorrow.