Here I am in front of a waterfall in Krka National Park in Croatia, where I travelled the summer after my semester abroad.

Meet the Team: Skyler Sorini

Posted by

Former Study Abroad Peer Advisor (19Ox, 21C), Emory Salamanca Program, Spring 2019

This is a photo of me in Salamanca during my first week there!

Hi everyone! My name is Skyler, and I am a senior in the College majoring in QSS on the Economics track. In the Spring of 2019, I graduated early from Oxford College to study abroad in Salamanca, Spain. I am a Peer Advisor in the Office of International and Summer Programs, and I love helping other students study abroad!

I was drawn to the Salamanca program as I always have wanted to improve my Spanish speaking, and I wanted to be able to take economics classes in order to stay on track with my degree. Salamanca provided an opportunity to do both and choosing to study there turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made at Emory.

I loved living with my host mom, Charo, and getting to feel like I was a part of her family; I watched Turkish soap operas with her mother, chatted about politics with her niece and nephew, and she introduced me to her friends so we could practice Spanish and English together. Our program traveled all over Spain and to Portugal and seeing those places with our group taught me a lot about Spain and myself.

I returned to Emory for my Junior year saying yes more. That semester taught me that I can have fun while still learning a lot. I love hiking, dancing, cooking, “Are You the One,” and sleeping-in.

My friend Hanna and I sitting in a cactus garden in Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands.