Immigrants = All the Same

In Nicholas P. De Genova’s article, Migrant “Illegality” and Deportability in Everyday Life, he raises a number of questions and points that seem rather obvious. But with many of these remarks about migrants he examines that what seems obvious is actually incredibly dense and complicated. He starts off explaining his terminology and use for quotes throughout the piece, he explains, “ throughout the ensuing text, I deploy quotes in order to denaturalize the reification of this distinction wherever the term “illegality” appears” (Genova 2002: 420). Genova’s terminology made me think a little deeper about the word illegal. Personally, a few of my first thoughts that come to mind when I think of the word illegal is: intentional breaking of laws, criminal, jail. None of these words come to mind when I think of a migrant. The stigma attached to migrants and “illegal citizens” may very much stem from solely the terminology, an aspect that one may not think about.

Throughout Genova’s ethnographic incorporations, it is very evident that nothing is “a matter of fact” when it comes to “illegal citizens” but for some reason being labeled a migrant or immigrant makes individuals all the same by categorization. As we know, and have been able to see in class, every migrants has their own story, their own struggles and each is different. One term, “immigrant”, should not universalize who these people are. Perhaps once we start thinking of immigrants on a more narrow and individualized basis we will be able to better support these individuals. With this in mind, it really helps me move forward with my final project. I plan to proceed with a very open mind on solutions that do not generalize who immigrants are.