The New, Terrifying, Source of Hope

The article Camp in the City spoke about the parallels that refugees and migrants face when they enter the another nation: they stay in a space between compassion and fear. I think this article speaks to a panic I face often in which I wonder if migrants/refugees will ever find a space in which they are accepted. Of course, there are outliers who find success in their pursuit, yet the vast seem to encounter a wall in which they enter another space of liminality. Even with refugee status, not all members of nations like Germany seem willing to fully accept people “other” than them. When the Colonge assaults took place, I still remember my mother reading and article (pasted below) condemning the acts. For months, and to this day, my Hungarian relatives and my mother use it as reasons to keep refugees out. I believe this type of hatred circulated by the media and impedes the progress of change and acceptance. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046

The article Where ethics and politics meet speak about unintended consequences of humanitarianism and compassion and the rush of migrants seeking to injure themselves in order to stay in France. The law that enables migrants to do this, coming from a source of humanitarianism, brings to light the utter desperation that individuals encounter not only in order to leave their past lives behind, but to hold onto their new ones. In this way, to save themselves now, migrants must literally put themselves on the constant brink of death. This sickening irony shows the movement of the migrant agony and fear that drives them to a new terrifying source of hope: HIV.