“The Crossing” Reaction

My biggest question when reading about the migrant camps in Morocco is that if one lives in this liminal state long enough, once they make it out can they ever fully immerse themselves in the new state? What I mean by this statement, in the case of the migrant boys in Morocco, is that since they have experienced so much danger, fear, and pain in the liminal state I feel as though it will leave such a powerful impact on them that they cannot fully be immersed in the new state of living safely in the EU. I imagine after suffering so much tragedy that even in the safety of the EU, the fear and pain of the previous states are never fully erased.

In high school, I worked on a project that focused on the rehabilitation of ex-child soldiers in Liberia. Some of the former soldiers that I talked to had been refugees of the Liberian Civil War and lived in refugee camps within Liberia. The life in these refugee camps was one where everyone had suffered a major tragedy and the only thing that kept them going was to hope for peace in the end. Through getting to know Benji in this article, his story was similar to those of the some of the Liberian men I talked to. Through my experience, the Liberians who had made it to the United States still carried huge amounts of pain mixed among the gratefulness of being able to flee. As a white American citizen, I have never experienced tragedy to this degree. Therefore, I am doubtful that it is possible for migrants who have had so many hardships to be able to fully immerse themselves as refugees of the EU. I believe that it is most likely that they will always carry the burden of their previous lives in such a way that they remain partially in the mentality of the liminal state.