The Emory Scholarly Communications Office is pleased to announce a travel scholarship for OpenCon 2015 (http://www.opencon2015.org). OpenCon 2015, organized by the Right to Research Coalition, SPARC (The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) and a committee of student and early career researcher organizations from around the world, is a student and early career researcher conference focused on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data.
OpenCon 2015’s three day program will include workshops, lightning talks, unconference time, and plenty of networking opportunities with fellow attendees. The program (http://www.opencon2015.org) draws both on the expertise of leaders in the Open Access, Open Education and Open Data movements and the experience of participants who have already led successful projects. OpenCon 2015 participants will leave with a deeper understanding of the conference’s three issue areas, stronger skills in organizing local and national projects, and connections with policymakers and prominent leaders across the three issue areas.
Who is eligible for the OpenCon 2015 scholarship?
This scholarship opportunity is open to current Emory University graduate and undergraduate students as well as early career researchers currently employed by Emory University. Early career researchers are generally within 8-10 years of the beginning of their professional research career (i.e. after graduating with their terminal degree).
What are the commitments associated with the OpenCon 2015 scholarship?
- Complete application by deadline (September 1, 2015)
- Attend OpenCon 2015 November 14-16, 2015 in Brussels, Belgium.
- Prior to OpenCon 2015
- Work with the Scholarly Communications Office and the Emory Libraries Open Access Committee in the coordination of events for Open Access Week 2015 (October 19-25, 2015)
- Participate in pre-conference calls and webinars planned by OpenCon 2015 organizers
- After OpenCon 2015
- Write at least one blog post about your experience for the Scholarly Communications Office blog to be published no later than December 4, 2015
- Present about your experience during a library event (Spring 2016 – TBD)
OpenCon 2015 will be held in Brussels, Belgium, November 14-16, 2015.
Travel scholarship recipient will receive:
- Guaranteed spot at OpenCon 2015
- Travel expenses, accommodations (shared room), and conference registration fees
- A better understanding of Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data
To apply for the Emory University OpenCon 2015 travel scholarship, complete the online application at: http://bit.ly/1FDdAKG.
Please send questions to scholcomm [at] listserv [dot] cc [dot] emory [dot] edu.
When is the application due?
Please submit your application by Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 5 pm.
Your application will be reviewed by a selection committee, and you will be notified of the status of your acceptance by Friday, September 11, 2015.
Would you like to know more about the travel scholarship and/or OpenCon 2015?
Contact the Emory Scholarly Communications Office at scholcomm [at] listserv [dot] cc [dot] emory [dot] edu for additional information about this travel scholarship opportunity.
For more information about OpenCon 2015 visit: http://www.opencon2015.org