OpenCon 2016 Travel Scholarship Call for Applications
The Emory Scholarly Communications Office is pleased to announce a travel scholarship for OpenCon 2016 (http://www.opencon2016.org). OpenCon 2016, organized by the Right to Research Coalition, SPARC (The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) and a committee of student and early career researcher organizations from around the world, is a student and early career researcher conference focused on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data.
OpenCon 2016’s three-day program begins with two days of keynotes, panels, interactive workshops, and unconference sessions drawing both on the expertise of leaders in the Open Access, Open Education and Open Data movements and the experience of participants. On the final day, participants receive advocacy training and educate policy makers in small groups on open research and education. OpenCon will convene students and early career academic professionals from around the world and serve as a powerful catalyst for projects led by the next generation to advance OpenCon’s three focus areas.
Who is eligible for the OpenCon 2015 scholarship?
This scholarship opportunity is open to current Emory University graduate and undergraduate students as well as early career researchers currently employed by Emory University. Early career researchers are generally within 8-10 years of the beginning of their professional research career (i.e. after graduating with their terminal degree).
What are the commitments associated with the OpenCon 2016 scholarship?
- Complete application by deadline (September 1, 2016)
- Attend OpenCon 2016 November 12-14, 2016 in Washington, D.C.
- Prior to OpenCon 2016
- Work with the Scholarly Communications Office and the Emory Libraries Open Access Committee in the coordination of events for Open Access Week 2016 (October 24-30, 2016)
- Participate in pre-conference calls and webinars planned by OpenCon 2016 organizers
- After OpenCon 2016
- Write at least one blog post about your experience for the Scholarly Communications Office blog to be published no later than December 1, 2016
- Present about your experience during a library event (Spring 2017 – TBD)
When and Where?
OpenCon 2016 will be held in Washington, D.C., November 12-14, 2016.
Travel scholarship recipient will receive:
- Guaranteed spot at OpenCon 2016
- Travel expenses, accommodations (shared room), and conference registration fees (incidentals not included)
- A better understanding of Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data
To apply for the Emory University OpenCon 2016 travel scholarship, complete the online application at: http://bit.ly/1FDdAKG.
Please send questions to scholcomm [at] listserv [dot] cc [dot] emory [dot] edu.
When is the application due?
Please submit your application by Tuesday, September 1, 2016, at 5 pm (EST).
Your application will be reviewed by a selection committee, and you will be notified of the status of your acceptance by Friday, September 9, 2016.
Would you like to know more about the travel scholarship and/or OpenCon 2016?
Contact the Emory Scholarly Communications Office at scholcomm [at] listserv [dot] cc [dot] emory [dot] edu for additional information about this travel scholarship opportunity.
For more information about OpenCon 2016 visit: http://www.opencon2016.org/