Karol Oviedo – Super Sad True Love Story

“It’s so sad. I’ve been crying for days now… God, I’m sorry, Precious Pony. I’m such a downer. The weird thing is that I have been thinking about Lenny, the old guy. I know he’s gross physically, but…I need to be taken care of too.”
In the novel Super Sad True Love Story (on page 74), the author Gary Shteyngart adapts the lack of community in the dystopian society by pouring strong Eunice’s heart through her Globalteens account through a message she sent her best friend “Precious Pony.” In this way, the reader can notice how Eunice, under the thick skin she demonstrates to have, hides a very self-conscious girl who longs for comfort. In this instant message between best friends, Eunice describes how she desires for a person to take care of her. Sincerely, it is a human desire to feel of importance, guided, cared for, longed for, and most importantly, loved.
Focusing on the style of the compositon, Eunice is barely using abbreviations. This lack of abbreviations demonstrates her concern for what she is writing about. Therefore; if she worries about the topic, she will adapt the syntax to an almost perfect grammar. On the other hand, if she cares less about the topic, she will use vernacular language and abbreviations. As the reader, one could notice that she intends to hide the loneliness she is experimenting. It is remarkable how connected the society seems to be to their äppärät yet how lonely they may field. A similarity to our own world is that we use social media that can connect us to everybody all over the entire world, yet how lonely one may feel when no one answers.