Karol Oviedo – Rhetorical Analysis of an object

12036524_1044185398947568_4432744905750416330_n

In Alabama Hall, one of Emory University’s Residence Halls, lies this dying plant. It caught my attention because from far it looked beautiful. I observed it and noticed upon my thinking that dying plants may symbolize many things. I searched and found an image of an infuriated carrot claiming, “Plants have feelings too. Eat cow.” After a long laugh, I used this idea to create my one staged argument. I wrote the same sentence on a yellow sticky note and taped it to the base of the plant with transparent tape. I placed some of the dead leaves and flowers around the plant and gave it a finishing touch with a ripe banana. The purpose was for the argument to be fully set using my limited resources. One may assume that the audience are those that decide to not consume meat for various reasons and indulge themselves in fruits, vegetables, and other veggie foods without noticing that plants also had life before they consumed it. When focusing on the image, the intended tone is more of a combination of a morbid sight infused with humor. The morbid part has an appearance with all the imprints of death around. Leaves and flowers no longer living. This was intended to appeal mostly the pathos type of rhetoric.The humor comes in the message written on the sticky note, “plants have feelings too. eat cow.”The font of the text is placed with grammatical errors, yet is it very simple and attractive. The note conveys a message that creates conscience about the situation without degrading or offending the audience.