Artifact – Noah Apter

As a child in love with sports and the culture behind both professional and amateur athletics, I watched a lot of ESPN. Channel 41 (173 in high definition) on Comcast was embedded in my mind at eight years of age and was the first channel I plugged in after flipping the on button of the television remote. My favorite show, sports-center, a sequence of breaking news, game-highlights and analysis, aired all night and all morning long, providing a perfect way to spend each morning I woke up a little too early before leaving for school and late nights where I struggled to fall asleep. Amazed by the talent, the skill, the creativity and passion put into each sport, I quickly fell in love. However, there was one specific part of sports-center and the ESPN channel touched my heart each aired episode. The soundtrack of rascal flats played on the background, introducing the powerful “My Wish” series. The “My Wish” series was created as a way to help disabled and terminally ill children by connecting them and providing the opportunity for them to meet their favorite athlete or sports team. If nothing else, for a few hours a purity, their spirits were lifted and they felt normal, if not, like a superhero. For my presentation, I would like to focus on the introductory page/ logo for the “My Wish” series and the manner in which it draws its audience through coloring, genuine-looking font choices, and drawing imagery. The page itself consists of a light blue background with a picture of the participating child with a joyous grin from the experience he or she had been give. Additionally, the sports-center logo sits above “My Wish..” with a cursive “My” and a star as the finishing point of the “y”. Underneath sits the child’s name in his or her handwriting.