John Kim Blog Post#9

Working Title: The True Monster in Frankenstein

In my introduction I will try and explore what Shelly’s definition of “a monster” is and how perhaps her experience with the dynamic shift in her era’s social structure has shaped her definition of a “monster”. Here I will briefly mention the monster characteristics reminiscent in both Frankenstein and his creation.

In my main body, I will go in length to describe and compare the characteristics of Frankenstein and his creation. On my first paragraph I will describe the physique of Frankenstein and on the following paragraph juxtapose this by describing the physique of the monster. If we look from the physical appearance, the Victor’s creation, with its grotesque presence is the monster. However, when the juxtaposition is done with the characteristics of both characters, it is Victor, who is content in isolation and outright rejects his own creation without a chance, that is truly the monster. I will also include any possible social changes and especially highlight on the industrial revolution to obtain in-depth knowledge on how the social movement shaped her perspectives of technology and thereby Victor’s creation.

In conclusion, I will summarize my arguments in a concise fashion. While it was Victor who appears human he in actuality lacks the qualities to be classified as one while the monster, despite his abnormal appearance has the kindness that is essential to all mankind