Mirdrina Dulcio Blog Post #12

A concept in class that I feel most confident teaching to an incoming freshman is teaching them about asking closed and open questions because of how it helps out with making discussion times really productive. Since open and closed questions are easy to discuss, I would how open questions lead to a broader and wide range of answers while closed questions have a definite answer. I would also ask the class why each question type would be used in class discussion, and then I would sum up all of their answers and include the right response to it. For instance, open questions are important in order to get an opinion or respond to a difficult and controversial question. Closed questions are important for getting correct facts or simple responses right away. I would have a source that the class would have already read the night before to be the topic of our discussions. Then after describing the two types of questions, I would have the class each write two open and two closed questions independently, have them share their responses to the class and have some volunteers demonstrate some of their answers. Then, I would lead the class into discussion, and the students would be used open and long questions according to the topic for the class that day. Since open and closed questions are pretty simple to understand, I will include some entering class discussion ideas in the lesson in order to make their discussion more productive as well. I would mention how that when you are responding to another person, you should briefly summarize what the last person mentioned or whoever you are responding to and then bring in what else you want to mention in the discussion. Overall, these techniques will all be great for making class discussions more successful and informative.