Jonny O’Brien Blog Post #12

If I were to guest lecture a concept for this class, it would be about integrating quotes. This topic of writing is something that I feel comfortable doing, from introducing the quote to explaining it. I feel like I can easily summarize the relative plot points leading up to the quote, use the quote, and then explain the quote’s significance to my argument. Therefore, I feel like I can explain this topic to others and help guide them through any troubles with the process.

The first thing I would need to explain is how the setup and analysis works. To do this, I would show a sample of a correct way to integrate a quote and three incorrect ways to integrate it, taking out proper setup, proper analysis, and both in each so there is a clear understanding of what each part needs. This lesson wouldn’t be focused on which quotes are better to use than other quotes, but that could be a lesson on its own.

To reinforce all of these ideas, I would have the class break up into groups, just like we have done, and search their texts for quotes. Each group would be assigned a different prevailing theme from the book to support, and each person in those groups would be responsible for finding their own quote and framing it. After everyone in the group finishes writing, they would go around and read how they integrated the quote they chose. After a person goes, the other members of the group will determine if the quote was properly integrated and suggest revisions where needed. Finally, the groups would choose the best integration that one of the members had and read it to the class to reaffirm how to integrate quotes and hear the different styles of how one person introduced or analyzed the quote compared to another.