Savannah Ramsey Blog Post 12

If I were to guest lecture in the next section of this 181 course, I would select the skill of they say, I say statements to teach to incoming freshmen.  This is due to the fact that I feel I have gained prolific knowledge in this area, and feel most confident explaining this concept.  I would go about this by first explaining that they say, I say statements are an important part of academic writing and they can be utilized in many different formats, settings, and genres.  Describing they say, I say statements as “entering into conversation” by using a summary of others’ arguments as a way of tying in one’s own argument, would allow incoming students to understand the purpose (Graff xvi).  Breaking down the statements into the different parts would be necessary, so I would begin by giving examples of ways to state others’ arguments in the context of different situations paired with examples of the three ways to respond to an argument.  I would provide a hand out with many of the different templates for they say, I say statements so that they could visualize these examples in context.  Naysayers and “So What?” statements along with transitions should also be briefly mentioned since they are important for the continuation in the writing process following the they say, I say statement.  One activity I would implement would be to practice they say, I say statements in the context of each students personal life.  This would be a good introduction because it is known information and allows one to interact and learn new and interesting things about individuals which keeps people engaged.  The other activity would be to use they say, I say statements in discussion about the reading.  This would be more difficult, but would show one of the many practical applications.