Project: Synthesis of natural antibiotic products
Bio: Wanli received his bachelor’s degree in Chemistry at East China Normal University where his research in the asymmetric synthesis of 2,3-allenoates starts. After that, he decided to keep pursing the simple and novel synthesis of series of allene compounds – hydrocarbons characterized by cumulative diene functionality with Dr. Shengming Ma. After graduation, he moved to Fudan University as a research assistant before joining the Wuest lab. Currently, Wanli is interested in the total synthesis and biological evaluations of natural antibiotics and their analogs. His interests outside lab include listening to music, drinking tea and travel everywhere!
- Wanli Zhang, Anna R. Kaplan, Emma K. Davison, Jared L. Freeman, Margaret A. Brimble and William M. Wuest, Building trans-bicyclo[4.4.0]decanes/decenes in complex multifunctional frameworks: the case for antibiotics, Prod. Rep., 2021, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0NP00052C.
- Emma K. Davison, Jared L. Freeman, Wanli Zhang, William M. Wuest, Daniel P. Furkert and Margaret A. Brimble*, Asymmetric Total Synthesis of the Naturally Occurring Antibiotic Anthracimycin, Lett. 2020, 22, 5550.
- Chaofan Huang, Hui Qian, Wanli Zhang*, and Shengming Ma*, Hydroxy group-enabled highly regio- and stereoselective hydrocarboxylation of alkynes, Sci., 2019, 10, 5505.
- Wei-Feng Zheng, Wanli Zhang, Chaofan Huang, Penglin Wu, Hui Qian, Lei Wang, Yin-Long Guo* and Shengming Ma*, Tetrasubstituted allenes via the palladiumcatalysed kinetic resolution of propargylic alcohols using a supporting ligand, Catal., 2019, 2, 997.
- Wanli Zhang and Shengming Ma*, Palladium/H+-cocatalyzed kinetic resolution of tertiary propargylic alcohols, Commun., 2018, 54, 6064.
- Wanli Zhang and Shengming Ma*, Palladium-catalyzed enantioselective alkoxycarbonylation of propargylic carbonates with (R)- or (S)-3,4,5-(MeO)3-MeOBIPHEP, Eur. J., 2017, 23, 8590.
- Wanli Zhang, Chaofan Huang, Yuan Yuan and Shengming Ma*, Catalytic transient leaving group for atom-economic synthesis of allenes from 2-alkynols, Commun., 2017, 53, 12430.
- Yuli Wang, Wanli Zhang and Shengming Ma*, A room temperature catalytic asymmetric synthesis of allenes with ECNU-Phos, Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135, 11517.