Emotions in Education

It is plausible to say that each of us has once read educational materials which are not aligned with our interest. I recently came across an article about educational technology, classifying this problem as an “emotional” problem. The way it works is that all the articles available for the subjects will be rated by students as “boring” or “interesting”. The information will then be collected and applied for future usage. Although this fact seems mundane, studies have shown that the more engagement from students results in more effective understanding of the subjects. Thus, this project provides a valuable database for future programs.

This article reminds me of Dewey’s “old school” vs. “new school”. The old school is the traditional form of education with books and teachers. Whereas, the new school emphasizes on experience and originality. In my opinion, Udio, an educational project mentioned in the article, can fit into both schools. On one hand, the materials are compiled from online articles, past sources and researches (old school). On the other hand, the emphasis on experience is pertain to the new school because it focuses on how students interact with the software. Dewey mentions that “we must escape from the tendency to think of organization in terms of the kinds of organization” (30). Thus, the “organization” of modern education is a hybrid between old and new education just like Dewey might have searched. So, is this the perfect form of education? I think that we are still far away from it. Education still has a long way to go. There needs to be a balance between students’ interest and the implementation of classical materials (which are often not interesting in modern society).

Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/03/universal_design_for_learning_brings_emotions_into_education_technology.html

3 responses to “Emotions in Education

1. What you have brought up in this post is interesting. I think another technological application of this “new” school and “old” school hybrid is something I have experienced here at Emory is clicker questions. The technology brings a new approach to engaging students and a new element of comparing your answers with others in the classroom. The old school version of this would be “warm-up” questions written on the board and handed in at the beginning of class.

However, clickers takes the same review type questions asked at the beginning of class and gives students a chance to give an immediate response in a more interactive way. This interaction with the questions allows for a more engaging form of learning. Overall,, I agree with you that education still has a long way to go, but with technology being implemented in the classroom and more studies on how to improve education, I feel like we are definitely advancing fast.

2. I see what you mean about Udio being able to incorporate both methods of education. The children feel better using the software and therefore they have a better experience when they read or learn something, which makes them want to learn more. I do not think this is the perfect education form though. I still think that society today needs to base education more on experience, kind of like Rousseau said. We should show children planets and let them make their own conclusions about them, and then tell them facts about the planets, instead of just telling them facts. I believe that if we incorporate this method more into education today, then we will have more motivated people who want to learn and be educated. I also agree with Alexia above, about how technology is helping us improve education.

3. Both of you (and me) would favor Dewey’s new school over traditional school because Dewey tends to support experience in education. Technology definitely helps bring the old school (Ex: theoretical knowledge) and the new school (Ex: application of concepts) together. We are definitely blessed to have educational technology available to us today. One thing that I didn’t mention in my blog post is the fact that traditional school seems to take over in developing countries. For example, in Vietnam, it is rare to find an interactive education based on my personal experience. All you can actually learn are the theoretical concepts. Yes! There are questions that you have to answer. However, it is not quite complete “experience” in my opinion.