Diversity, Equity & Inclusion

Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion

The Civitello Lab is a diverse group of scientists. We are enriched by our diverse backgrounds, identities, experiences, and viewpoints. As PI, I am committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community within our group, Emory University, our scientific fields and societies, and beyond. To this end, it is essential to acknowledge my power and privilege, as a straight white man, as well as my responsibility in my role as a scientist, PI, faculty mentor, and community member. I strive to provide a safe, equitable and inclusive environment for all members through intentional, informed actions. It is my responsibility for continual education, clear communication, and positive response to feedback so that I can best support each individual’s unique needs, styles, and career goals inside and outside our lab group.

I recognize that sexism, racism, xenophobia, white supremacy, LGBT+ exclusionary, and other hateful attitudes are pervasive within academia, science, and society. Silence or merely implied resistance to these hateful ideologies is insufficient. I commit to actively opposing them. As a scientist and mentor, I can take concrete actions, including

• Recruiting and mentoring diverse trainees
  • Establishing a safe and inclusive training environment
  • Encouraging respectful discourse, constructive criticism, and open sharing of concerns
  • Collaborating with, nominating, and advancing others equitably
  • Listening to, amplifying, and advocating for diverse trainees and peers
  • Acting against racist and oppressive words, actions, and power structures

If I make mistakes in pursuit of these commitments, I will own up to them, educate myself and learn from them.

Members of the Civitello lab reaffirm and support these statements. We will work together to foster an environment where all individuals, regardless of religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, immigrant status, or any other facet of identity, are welcome, heard, and supported.

David Civitello

Latest update: 26 August 2020