Modern Globalization | Discussion Post 5

I was fascinated about the fact that Baroque artwork can carry such deep concepts such as globalization through today’s class. The mirror in the artwork Las Meninas, which reflects us, the audience, as character(s) in the painting was truly stunning. I believe that today’s society cannot continue without advances in technology, communication, and transportation. Smartphones, cars, and even clothes, for example, are often made from parts sourced from all over the world. This has created a truly global economy, where the products we use every day are the result of complex webs of relationships and interactions between people and nations in every corner of the world. Thanks to them, information can travel quickly, connecting people to the world and giving rise to a new form of globalization characterized by the mixing of cultures, styles and ideas from different parts of the world.

In the context of modern globalization, I believe contemporary artists have incorporated Baroque elements into their work to create a unique style that reflects cultural influences from around the world. While searching online, I was intrigued by the work of Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes. From the publications I’ve read about the artist, she combines elements of traditional Brazilian folk art with influences from modernist and postmodernist styles from around the world (thanks to the technology for fast information transmission). Her work features bright, bold colors, intricate patterns, and a playful, whimsical style that draws on various cultural influences. I think it is similar to what I call technological/scientific progress as a symbol of globalization, where culture can spread to different parts of the world (this time through art).

One comment