“What are you going to do with that?”
“What are you going to do with that?”

“What are you going to do with that?”

“What are you going to do with that?” is always the first question someone asks when I tell them I’m majoring in Art History and History. I found it affirming to listen to the podcast episode titled “Climb the Non-Corporate Ladder”. In this episode, Brendalee Brown discusses how she shopped around for a major for a little while before she found her interest in History. This felt very similar to my college experience. I came to Emory with the intention of declaring a biology major with an interest in medical research. After my first biology class, I realized that I had absolutely no passion for the subject. The next few semesters, I decided to explore a bunch of different classes. The most impactful classes were those about art history and visual culture. Growing up, I had always had a strong interest in history and art, but I was always told that these fields would NOT be good for finding a job. Smart people are supposed to become a doctor or a lawyer, not whatever art historians do. Listening to the podcast, I found it reassuring to learn that there are tons of avenues that someone with a history degree can pursue. Even within the singular institution of a museum, there are a variety of positions one can occupy. While a history degree may not have a set path in the same way a pre-med degree might, there are still plenty of opportunities for employment. What matters are the skills that I am learning in my history and art history courses. A lot of my time is spent analyzing arguments by other scholars, formulating my own arguments, and communicating my arguments in a multitude of formats to varied audiences. My time in humanities courses has made me a stronger communicator and thinker. I have to think critically about what I am encountering rather than simply accept it as fact. The skills that I am learning in my humanities courses are making me a stronger candidate for whatever career path I decide to pursue. Communication and critical thinking skills will always be valued.