Course Policies

Contact/Communication:

Email is the best way to contact me if you have questions or concerns. Generally, I will respond to all student email M-F 9am-5pm and outside of those hours only if my schedule allows. Please allow 24 hours for a response, and 48 hours if your message is received over the weekend. Likewise, there may be instances when I will need to contact you by email. It is your responsibility to check your Emory-based email account at least once every 24 hours on weekdays.

Attendance:

Class participation and attendance involve coming to class prepared and contributing productively and respectfully in our class meetings. Aside from documented absences for school-related activities or religious holidays, you can miss three classes with no penalty to your grade. After that, absences will be calculated against your participation by one-third of a letter (i.e. B to B-), except for those that are excused for extenuating circumstances. Arriving more than 15 minutes late will be considered an absence. Unexcused absences also put you at risk to miss important in-class activities which may be graded. You are responsible for finding out what was discussed in the course on any days that you miss. If you miss any class periods as a result of the Add/Drop/Swap period, you are responsible for completing all reading and writing assignments from that time. Meet with me if you feel your situation warrants an exception to the course attendance policy. Bring appropriate supporting documentation to our meeting.

Inclement Weather Policy:

University closures: Short-term (one or two days): Should the university close for one or two days, you should continue to do your reading, writing, and analysis according to the weekly schedule posted in Canvas. Unless I otherwise notify you, due dates for reading and writing assignments will remain unchanged in the case of short-term closures.

University closures: Long-term (three or more days): Should the university close for three or more days, we may hold make-up classes synchronously. Our class attendance policy holds for sessions meeting on these days. Make sure to check your email and Canvas regularly for university and course updates regrading make-up dates or online alternatives.

Late work:

All assignments are due by the time and date specified. I will grant you an extension pending you have a valid reason for requesting one and that you reach out to me 24 hours before the assignment is due. Should you submit any assignment after the due date without an extension, your grade for that assignment will decrease by one-third of a letter (i.e. B to B-) for each day it is late or be marked as incomplete (0%). Communication is key as you assess and anticipate potential issues that may impact your ability to turn in work on time.

Academic Integrity:

The Honor Code is in effect throughout the semester. By taking this course, you affirm that it is a violation of the code to cheat on exams, to plagiarize, to deviate from the teacher’s instructions about collaboration on work that is submitted for grades, to give false information to a faculty member, and to undertake any other form of academic misconduct. You agree that the instructor is entitled to move you to another seat during examinations, without explanation. You also affirm that if you witness others violating the code you have a duty to report them to the honor council.

I take plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty seriously. Should I suspect that you engage in academic dishonesty in this course, I will refer the case to Emory’s Honor Council. You may also receive an F on the assignment(s) in question.

Zoom Recording Policy:

While it is more likely that class will be canceled instead of moved online if the need arises, the option may still present itself when necessary. In such cases, lectures and other classroom presentations presented through video conferencing and other materials posted on Canvas are for the sole purpose of educating the students enrolled in the course. The release of such information (including but not limited to directly sharing, screen capturing, or recording content) is strictly prohibited, unless the instructor states otherwise. Doing so without the permission of the instructor will be considered an Honor Code violation, and may also be a violation of state or federal law, such as the Copyright Act. All University policies remain in effect for students participating in remote education.

Respect for Diversity:

I am firmly committed to diversity and equality in all areas of campus life. In this class I will work to promote an anti-discriminatory environment where everyone feels safe and welcome. I recognize that discrimination can be direct or indirect and take place at both institutional and personal levels. I believe that such discrimination is unacceptable and I am committed to providing equality of opportunity for all by eliminating any and all discrimination, harassment, bullying, or victimization. The success of this policy relies on the support and understanding of everyone in this class. We all have a responsibility not to participate in or condone harassment or discrimination of any kind.

As such, this course will be care-centered, which requires both students and instructor to meet each other where they are. As the professor is not an all-knowing deity, neither is the student a mere knowledge receptacle. The instructor-student experience is one of exchange, and we should strive to create as open an environment as we can together to make the classroom a space of respectful challenge and transformation. This means: each person brings their own personal ideas and experiences into the classroom space, and it is a privilege and an honor to witness what can be created from the combination of our very own unique perspectives. Therefore, when practicing critique, target ideas, not people. When we engage with each other respectfully and kindly, the knowledge produced in our classroom will flourish.

Class rosters are provided to me with students’ legal names. If you prefer to be referred to differently than what is listed, please let me know your name and gender pronouns and I will gladly address you by them. Please advise me of this preference early in the semester, preferably via email or after our first lesson, so that I may make appropriate changes to my records.

A Note on COVID-19/Pandemic safety:

We are over two years into a global health pandemic, and with that comes the knowledge that we are all physically and mentally fatigued. The highest risk for COVID-19 transmission still occurs in indoor settings, so be mindful of how you navigate campus. While masks are no longer required by the university, please continue to take caution and care for your fellow students by staying home when feeling ill and masking up to protect yourself from infection in cases where you think you may have encountered or could encounter potential exposure. If you go into quarantine, notify me as soon as possible so that we may discuss options for your continued success in the class. Official campus safety policies are likely to change over the course of the semester, so ensure you pay close attention to any university email updates (especially from Emory Forward).

Electronics:

Since we are composing and listening multimodally throughout the course, you are encouraged to bring to class and operate laptops or tablets. I ask that you silence your (smart)phones before class and stow them during class. Using electronic technology for purposes other than class activities can distract your peers, and I will count you absent for the day if you do so. If you are expecting an important call during class, please inform me and keep your phone on vibrate. We will be experimenting with writing in ways that are not confined to written language, and thus certain digital programs will be necessary to access. I will let you know options for assignments and where to look for resources when the time comes.

[Here is a link to the College student technology recommendation.]

On other occasions, we may hold class sessions that step away from technology altogether, focusing instead on verbal, textual, or gestural communication and performance beyond the digital realm. Thus, pens, pencils, and paper should also be on hand.

Public Nature of the Course:

Please consider all writing for this class to be “public.” Part of becoming an effective writer is learning to appreciate ideas and feedback others have to offer, as well as learning how to write to specific audiences. In this course, our purpose is to come together as a writing community and see what you have gleaned from our class readings/listenings. We will do this in a number of ways, including posting responses to writing prompts on Canvas that will serve as fodder for classroom “debates,” as well as forming peer review cohorts at the beginning of the semester that will act as accountability groups when we have in-class workshops. Thus, avoid writing about topics you wish to keep private; you should not feel like you have to exploit your past experiences or trauma to say something meaningful.

Cooling-Off Period:

When I return a graded assignment to you, I request that you read my comments about your work carefully and wait 24 hours before coming to speak with me or contacting me about your grade. I have found that asking for this “cooling-off” period results in more productive discussions about graded work.

Content Advisory:

In this course we will read about and discuss topics including but not limited to colonization, racism, violence, sexuality, and economic inequality. If you would like advance notice to prepare yourself to approach these topics, please reach out to me to make arrangements. Any conversations of this nature will be held in strict confidence. Refer to the Respect for Diversity section for more information, as those guidelines apply to the texts with which we will interact as well.