Center for Tropical Diseases
General description: The Center for Tropical Diseases (CTD) at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) has a rich 30-year history of alleviating the global suffering from diseases in the tropics and resource-limited regions of the world through research, education, and service. The Center is composed of more than 80 UTMB faculty members and dozens of international partners who are dedicated to this mission. The Center is seeking a Program Manager to help coordinate all aspects of its efforts to address its mission. The ideal candidate will have a career interest and training in public health or global health, experience in working with people from different countries and cultures, experience in coordinating diverse activities relevant to an
internationally recognized center of excellence, creating and editing grant applications and scientific reports, managing budgets, and having a customer service mindset for providing excellent service to the Center’s stakeholders and partners. Experience in research data collection and analysis would also be of value.
Specific responsibilities: The specific responsibilities of the CTD Program Manager will include, but are not limited to:
• Managing business and administrative activities of all programs within the CTD.
• Coordinating leadership activities of the Center Director and Associate Director.
• Coordinating development and implementation of new initiatives of the CTD.
• Working with Center leadership and members to establish collaborative programs with local, regional, national, and international partners.
• Providing administrative coordination of international research and training activities of the Center. In some cases, this might involve international travel.
• Providing administrative support for international visiting and trainees and scientists.
• Facilitating development and submission of research grant applications.
• Maintaining web-based and social media-based outreach and publicity.
• Collecting data and creating and annual and other reports as needed.
• Providing preliminary analyses of research datasets and reporting findings to the relevant stakeholders.
Minimum education level: Bachelor’s degree in an area relevant to science and medicine from an accredited university or equivalent, with 5 years of experience in program management.
Preferred education level: Master of Science in Global Health or Public Health (MPH)
Salary is commensurate with level of experience. UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter describing their interest in the position and a current CV or resume to:
Peter C. Melby, M.D.
Director, Center for Tropical Diseases (http://www.utmb.edu/ctd)
Director, Division of Infectious Diseases (https://www.utmb.edu/internalmedicine/infectious-disease/home)
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
pcmelby [at] utmb [dot] edu